What are these black spots on my clownfish?

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
They’re on both of my clownfish. Started seeing them whenever I added another clownfish in the tank with this one who’s been in the tank for over a year. They both have the spots. Both seem fine, eating and not acting strange. They are still fighting to figure out dominance.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
They’re on both of my clownfish. Started seeing them whenever I added another clownfish in the tank with this one who’s been in the tank for over a year. They both have the spots. Both seem fine, eating and not acting strange. They are still fighting to figure out dominance.
I have the same issue but to a much larger extreme. It's probably hypermelanization. My clowns decided to live in multiple zoa patches and are constantly stung by them. It started out as just dots like you have and has become much worse over time. The clowns are fine, they are just discolored from it. Are your clowns hosted by something other than an anemone that could sting them?

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same issue but to a much larger extreme. It's probably hypermelanization. My clowns decided to live in multiple zoa patches and are constantly stung by them. It started out as just dots like you have and has become much worse over time. The clowns are fine, they are just discolored from it. Are your clowns hosted by something other than an anemone that could sting them?
Yeah that’s what I thought, but they’re not hosting anything. I have a royal gramma in there that is very territorial (can’t get him out) and he won’t let them go in their anemone because it’s part of his territory unfortunately. I think they’ll fight back one day because he’s been acting strange recently hiding in spots he hasn’t before which typically means that some territorial issue is going on. I’ve seen them touch other corals very briefly like my frogspawn and my Kenya tree, but I don’t know if it’s causing the issue. Don’t know if it’s black ich or something like that either.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that’s what I thought, but they’re not hosting anything. I have a royal gramma in there that is very territorial (can’t get him out) and he won’t let them go in their anemone because it’s part of his territory unfortunately. I think they’ll fight back one day because he’s been acting strange recently hiding in spots he hasn’t before which typically means that some territorial issue is going on. I’ve seen them touch other corals very briefly like my frogspawn and my Kenya tree, but I don’t know if it’s causing the issue. Don’t know if it’s black ich or something like that either.
Doubt it’s black ich if it’s a long term problem. Maybe post over in the fish disease forum and see if anyone there has some different ideas.

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
Yup I have read about it somewhere.It is quite common for Clown fish to present with black spots (hypermelinization) after exposure to corals that the Clown does not normally reside in. To build up the mucous layer on the surface of the skin the Clown must repeatedly expose the surface to coral or anemone. Many times this is corals of the Euphyllia genus, Torch, Hammer and Frogspawn. It's easy to see why a Clown might try to take up residents as the corals looks like a Clowns natural host, but come with powerful sweeper tentacles.
Source- Internet

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup I have read about it somewhere.It is quite common for Clown fish to present with black spots (hypermelinization) after exposure to corals that the Clown does not normally reside in. To build up the mucous layer on the surface of the skin the Clown must repeatedly expose the surface to coral or anemone. Many times this is corals of the Euphyllia genus, Torch, Hammer and Frogspawn. It's easy to see why a Clown might try to take up residents as the corals looks like a Clowns natural host, but come with powerful sweeper tentacles.
Source- Internet
Makes sense, starting to see them mess with my frogspawn more and more so I think it’s that. Thanks

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back