What are these? Friend ot Foe?

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral qt tank. I see these little white circlish bugs come out at dark. Picture if on an encrusting frag but I see them on rockwork aeound frogspawn, anemone, stylophora, just about everywhere. They're very white and circle shaped, look like large grains of sand but they crawl. Still pictures hard to tell as they look like white spots but they crawl fast. They're definitely not coral specific as they are on rocks and on glass. I dont see any coral damage.
20191118_213927.jpg
20191118_213950.jpg
20191118_214654.jpg

Are they some kind of copepod or some kind of pest that I need interceptor.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe ostracod? Try looking that up and see if it's a match.
Pretty sure that's exactly what they are. I cant find much info on them but am going to assume theyre most harmless algae eaters as they dont seem to have a tendancy to favor a specific type of coral or even corals over rocks and glass in general.

Are they rare? I dont see much information out there on them or see them listed on any hitchhiker guide. I guess when I get a wrasse again their numbers will probably drop significantly

ruskimax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully like my Spirobid stage, kinda just fizzle out over a month or two. Good luck man!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back