What are these guys?

Deanna77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to marine aquariums and started cycling our tank a few weeks ago. My tank is 35 gallons. All is going well, it seems to have gone through the cycle. Ammonia and nitrite spiked and are back down to almost zero. Nitrates spiked to 20-40 ppm but are now back around 5 ppm. Algae has bloomed which I understand tends to happen when nitrates rise. I’ve added various snails and hermit crabs. No fish or corals yet.

My question is: what are these things in the photos? I think they must have come in on the live rock. (They were here before we added the snails/crabs.) They are small. One is about 1/4 inch, they second almost half and inch.

I’d appreciate any suggestions. I expect they aren’t harmful but would like to know.
Thanks.

D6CF5705-9F2A-40D0-8662-8F8BF4E45BDA.jpeg F7015CFE-7A97-4D26-84BF-3BECD87F83F3.jpeg

georgeburt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is Aiptasia. I recommend using Red Sea’s Aiptasia X, and clear as much as you can with the pipette they provide.

georgeburt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your help! My kids we excited to see life in there but I suspected they would need to go.
No worries, I recommend clearing as much as possible as quick as possible as I said before, or they’ll most likely populate a lot more around the tank.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%

Back