OP
OP
P

peterire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is any help when you siphon the Sandi had more success when I didn’t disturb the sand just got the top layer off and most importantly done the siphoning in peak time of lighting.
Ok i’ll try that. Can you remember how long before you got rid of them?

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok i’ll try that. Can you remember how long before you got rid of them?
I had had small and large cell Amphidinium.
started in September and for 3-4 months it wasn’t good. Note this is the one everyone is scared of and take longest to get rid of.
I still have small amount in some places but not an amount I would be concerned about and even those is slowly reducing without me doing anything.

there are some pic in my build tread if you want to see bad

OP
OP
P

peterire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had had small and large cell Amphidinium.
started in September and for 3-4 months it wasn’t good. Note this is the one everyone is scared of and take longest to get rid of.
I still have small amount in some places but not an amount I would be concerned about and even those is slowly reducing without me doing anything.

there are some pic in my build tread if you want to see bad
Ah ok, yea I got large cell amphs and then osteos 2 months ago, treated wit dino x, uv and some other things. I raised phos (which was zero) and nitrate too, and now after water changes the sand and glass is covered in the stuff in this vid. At least its nt dinos i suppose, but visually its the same ugly type stuff!

OP
OP
P

peterire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to add, I tested silicates today and it reads 0.4

dont know if this helps to ID these..?

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to add, I tested silicates today and it reads 0.4

dont know if this helps to ID these..?
In Jan my silicates was 0.67, this month it is 0.21 and most of the nasty stuff is gone. Weekly water changes, I use a polishing filter and blow off all rocks and sand, the filter will remove most of the crap and. When the water clears, in my 75 takes a few hours, remove filter and clean, save for next cleaning. I do this once a week also, now less frequently though. This is what I use with a powerhead attachment.

41cZjBjdLUL._AC_.jpg

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently dose 9mls of bacto blend a week. Would the microbactor 7 stuff be instead of it or in addition to it?

Could be the same bacteria cultures as M7, I can't tell you that without more research. If it has different bacteria then I would try it in addition to bacto.

OP
OP
P

peterire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be the same bacteria cultures as M7, I can't tell you that without more research. If it has different bacteria then I would try it in addition to bacto.
ok thanks.

Could a silicate level of 0.4 be effecting coral growth also? They have been very slow since I got the tank 7 months ago

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok thanks.

Could a silicate level of 0.4 be effecting coral growth also? They have been very slow since I got the tank 7 months ago
I don't think so. What are your No3 and Po4 readings? They do grow slow the first year anyway until the tank matures fully, I think may take up to 2 years.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zero nutrients are worse than high silicate levels. If those 2 are near or at zero corals can grow slow and or die.

OP
OP
P

peterire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just tested my RO top off water for silicates.

Its 0.1, the lowest level on the test.

So I assume that proves its not coming from my tap water but leaching from rock or sand ?

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just tested my RO top off water for silicates.

Its 0.1, the lowest level on the test.

So I assume that proves its not coming from my tap water but leaching from rock or sand ?
Many people dose silicates and some recommended to do regularly. Sponges and corals both use some. I wouldn’t loose sleep over it.
it will go without you do anything.

OP
OP
P

peterire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many people dose silicates and some recommended to do regularly. Sponges and corals both use some. I wouldn’t loose sleep over it.
it will go without you do anything.
ok, so probably not the cause of this stuff I have?

I'm trying a 48hr blackout at the moment. Already its had an impact, all the brown covering on the sand is gone. more than likely come back once the lights go back on though..!

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm trying a 48hr blackout at the moment. Already its had an impact, all the brown covering on the sand is gone. more than likely come back once the lights go back on though..!
Just delaying the inevitable, let it run it's course in time will go away with proper husbandry. Never done a blackout, just keep cleaning, adding bacteria, keeping good parameters stable, keep white light low and blues normal until it is gone then ramp up whites.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If it goes to the water column and your Uv is running it will have an impact otherwise the blackout unlikely to help. There is only one way to find out...

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a UV and skimmer nightime only. Still dose bacteria some during the day, 2 or 3 times a week now instead of daily.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 136 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back