What are these little tubes all over my rocks?

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have these little tubes covering my rocks and it looks like there are little worms in them. Does anyone know what they are?
C4E1BAD9-22B9-462E-9687-F7BB061EF249.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mucous webbing they secrete can irritate corals.
That’s what happens when I blow off the rocks. That makes sense. There are hundreds in my 40g. I did some reading and it seems that using a hemostat to remove them is one way to deal with them. Have you ever had them? What did you do? I really appreciate the help!!

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also see that bumblebee snails eat them. Could they go in a 40g?

Heart of Dixie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can keep them in check by reducing feeding foods with lots of tiny particles. I feed pellets for two days, reef frenzy the third and when the lights go out the third day, dose coral snow (home made version) to clean the water. It helps. About every week or so I crush the visible ones with a piece of ½” pvc pipe. Unless you pull all the rock work out, clean powerheads, snails, cords and get rid of 100% of them and their invisible to the naked eye off spring, you had better get use to them. Just keep up a good fight.

melanotaenia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just now started to see these in my aquarium and they are very frustrating; I super glued a few but it is a losing battle; I work for a hospital so have access to these forceps I am going to use to basically start crushing them and getting them out during water changes. I am not sure what else can be done, they only bother me because their sliming makes my acros angry. If anyone does have some good ideas, please let us know. I HATE these things!!!!

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I crushed them with a Phillips screwdriver then my cleaner shrimp would come over and scavenge. They all disappeared after a tank move. Haven't seen one for months. I do have a single bumblebee snail, maybe it got hungry. I don't know. I had them for 2 years or so. The only other newish addition is my Halloween hermit.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw a very informative video from Gallery Aquatica TV on these pests. Longer vid (17:00) but great on why they are so difficult to remove, their structure and goes over several methods of removal. Bugger of a pest. Sure made me inspect my snail and corals for them going in tank.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I smashed a bunch with tweezers today. I can’t blow off the rocks with a turkey baster because they slime everything. I’m going to keep at it, especially around my corals. Thanks everyone for your help! I really appreciate it!!!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back