What are these on my Bonsai Valida

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok guys removed a 2nd piece of valida from the other side of the tank which is healthier and dipped it in the revive and after shaking this is what came out here are some pics. What do u guys think..
3a8cb3b1dfc2c04a3b1d8b09aee15e2d.jpg

da44e2c6d2dde495e02cd31bad9ca526.jpg

If you look at the coral, you can see the oval bite marks. This coral isn't healthy. It is infested as well. It's good to be optimistic, but these infestations can quickly get out of control. I had a little fight with red bugs recently. I left them alone and used more natural methods to fight them, but eventually their population became uncontrollable and they killed a couple SPS I had that were growing well. I was forced to treat the tank with Interceptor. I should've brought out the big guns earlier, but it was a learning experience. Now I won't make the same mistake again.

From every AEFW thread I've read, Flatworm Exit won't kill AEFW. Physical removal, QT, and dipping repeatedly is all that works while leaving the tank fallow of acropora.

OP
OP
Reef Able

Reef Able

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you look at the coral, you can see the oval bite marks. This coral isn't healthy. It is infested as well. It's good to be optimistic, but these infestations can quickly get out of control. I had a little fight with red bugs recently. I left them alone and used more natural methods to fight them, but eventually their population became uncontrollable and they killed a couple SPS I had that were growing well. I was forced to treat the tank with Interceptor. I should've brought out the big guns earlier, but it was a learning experience. Now I won't make the same mistake again.

From every AEFW thread I've read, Flatworm Exit won't kill AEFW. Physical removal, QT, and dipping repeatedly is all that works while leaving the tank fallow of acropora.

Got it and I think I might have to take tht route thanks

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Good advice. And yea flatworm exit would have to be dosed in a very high concentration to work against AEFW to my understanding.

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of throwing out corals, or fussing with QT, would it be okay to just frag the colony? It should be simple enough to remove the entire colony and frag pieces that are clear of pests, no? These frags could then be kept on a rack for easy removal/inspection/dips.

sullyman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is infested by aefw. Tear down and start over. I have read about an in tank treatment with a bug killer, look into that.'
As long as you know you have the aefw look for red bugs................

sullyman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AEFW, not america's funniest videos but Acro Eating Flat Worms, Only Acropora corals.....

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is infested by aefw. Tear down and start over. I have read about an in tank treatment with a bug killer, look into that.'
As long as you know you have the aefw look for red bugs................
Don’t need to do that. Just go sps fallow a couple months.

OP
OP
Reef Able

Reef Able

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So guys here is my plan and some questions :

- I am going to take out all acros for 6-8 weeks as suggested
- will hold them in a Rubbermaid container with heater and powerhead. Do I need strong lights?
- how do I treat the acros in the container?

OP
OP
Reef Able

Reef Able

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of throwing out corals, or fussing with QT, would it be okay to just frag the colony? It should be simple enough to remove the entire colony and frag pieces that are clear of pests, no? These frags could then be kept on a rack for easy removal/inspection/dips.

Good question I will leave experts to answer.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe AEFW is specific to Acropora genus. The montipora parasite is a nudibranch. I could be wrong though.

In a 2014 study Benjamin Hume found AEFW lived for 5-7 days with nothing to eat and eggs took 21 days to hatch and could immediately find a new host if present. Not sure if this helps with your quarantine plans at all. And

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From everything that I have ever seen it is only Acropora. Maybe someone has experiences with AEFW on other SPS coral, but I have not experienced it nor can re-call hearing about it.

OP
OP
Reef Able

Reef Able

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe AEFW is specific to Acropora genus. The montipora parasite is a nudibranch. I could be wrong though.

In a 2014 Benjamin Hume found AEFW lived for 5-7 days with nothing to eat and eggs took 21 days to hatch and could immediately find a new host if present. Not sure if this helps with your quarantine plans at all. And

Thank u any info is welcome

OP
OP
Reef Able

Reef Able

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so here is the list of my sps I got in my tank. Let me know which ones to take out or all as I am confused since these are Acro eating worms:
-Birdsnest
-Montipora (cap/plating and branching)
-Millepora
- Acro Secale
- Acro Valida
- Deepwater Acro
- Red Dragon acro
- Pocillopora
- Cyphastrea

I am asking as I do not want to stress anything tht these worms won't bother or touch....

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back