What are these on my hammer?

JediCruz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have these 2 things on my hammer. They’ve been there for a while and I thought they were just some crust of some sort flaking off. Now I see that the underside of them actually has white growth and to me it seems to be some type of mollusk. Does anyone have any clue? Don’t mind the GHA, vermitid and I think an old barnacle. I do want to mention that when I shine a light on it at night, it does close up. The pics below are night shots where the “mouth” is open.

412F49DC-F0B4-49B8-AB66-AE438B9EEDB2.jpeg
48EA5378-B197-455E-B04F-D6A29D5D1F30.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Spirobid worms. Theyre harmless. If you want, you can place hammer in a container of tank water and toothbrush them off

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My bad- you circled it- Duh
Its a member of the scallop family and common hitchhiker known as Bi-valve. They filter feed and are Not long lived. Harmless

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a member of the scallop family and common hitchhiker known as Bi-valve. They filter feed and are Not long lived. Harmless
Or possibly an oyster.
Of course, you could try to keep it alive by dosing Phytoplankton, but that would elevate nutrient levels.

OP
OP
JediCruz

JediCruz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty cool. Now when you saw they’re not long lived, like how long? I ask this since I got the hammer at the end of April of this year and it was on it then. It survived the mini tank crash as well I just now noticed that there were 2 (could be the back of the other?).

OP
OP
JediCruz

JediCruz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or possibly an oyster.
Of course, you could try to keep it alive by dosing Phytoplankton, but that would elevate nutrient levels.
I actually used to dose phyto in the tank a while ago but I stopped. Before I dosed the phyto, I also removed my UV Sterlizer. I added the hammer a few months after I stopped dosing phyto. At night, there are all sorts of items flying around the water column. I wonder if that’s why they’re still alive.

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At night, there are all sorts of items flying around the water column. I wonder if that’s why they’re still alive.
Bivalves cannot feed on larger particles, so I doubt it. I have read that they can survive quite a while without sufficient food, although without taking any action, I don’t see it surviving for much longer.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Pretty cool. Now when you saw they’re not long lived, like how long? I ask this since I got the hammer at the end of April of this year and it was on it then. It survived the mini tank crash as well I just now noticed that there were 2 (could be the back of the other?).
6 months to a year. If it survives longer than that, congratulations! Seriously

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 149 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back