What are these on my new mushroom rock?

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought the rock at the store where all the mushrooms were opened up and taking up the entire rock. now at home they are receded and showing things I don't like. I found a bit of aptasia too.

Would there be a way to get the mushrooms to let go? I have a 10 gallon with some rock in it I could maybe toss them in and wait for them to let go.

20230528_155459[1].jpg 20230528_155447[1].jpg

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Bought the rock at the store where all the mushrooms were opened up and taking up the entire rock. now at home they are receded and showing things I don't like. I found a bit of aptasia too.

Would there be a way to get the mushrooms to let go? I have a 10 gallon with some rock in it I could maybe toss them in and wait for them to let go.

Here is a link to a hitchhiker guide.

As far as releasing I’ve read that if you put them in a direct flow they will release so they can move. If you do that in your 10g then get another rock you would like to put them on and let them reattach before you move them back. Otherwise they might just find a place where you can’t see them.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're called Spionid Worms (not to be confused with Spirorbid Worms) - they're technically harmless, but they sometimes (possibly dependent on species) grow to huge numbers and start boring into corals (which is still harmless in small numbers, but if they're boring through the corals, then in large numbers they can harm the corals).

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They're called Spionid Worms (not to be confused with Spirorbid Worms) - they're technically harmless, but they sometimes (possibly dependent on species) grow to huge numbers and start boring into corals (which is still harmless in small numbers, but if they're boring through the corals, then in large numbers they can harm the corals).
…and they can be a pain to rid of. You can’t glue over them as they will bore a new hole to pop up. I had to cut up a few acro’s to physically remove them.

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Edit: Idk what's happening in this thread! Lol
Don’t know if I confused you, but the link is one I found that lists lots of different hitchhikers and I have saved it so when I find something new I can easily identify it.

The rest of my comment was how to get mushrooms to move off of a rock. Place then in your 10g QT and aim a power head at them maybe start with some flow and redirect until they don’t like it. This is what was recommended to me and I have found it to work.

OP
OP
Schulks

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t know if I confused you, but the link is one I found that lists lots of different hitchhikers and I have saved it so when I find something new I can easily identify it.

The rest of my comment was how to get mushrooms to move off of a rock. Place then in your 10g QT and aim a power head at them maybe start with some flow and redirect until they don’t like it. This is what was recommended to me and I have found it to work.
It wasn't you or anything. I was confusing myself trying to make sure the pictures were posted.

Thank you for the good response. How long does it take for them to let go when you do this?

I don't have an extra powerhead but I could use a small pump to do it I think.

Also I just found a couple of odd snails on the rock.
I am guessing I should not use Bayer on the entire rock x( there are some sponges on it I like too.

OP
OP
Schulks

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20230528_214036.jpg
20230528_214034.jpg
20230528_213957.jpg

Very young sundial snails? They almost look like they don't have shells.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Agree on spinoid which uses its palps (strings) to capture food. They are not as bad as Vermetids but also not welcomed in my tanks

OP
OP
Schulks

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree on spinoid which uses its palps (strings) to capture food. They are not as bad as Vermetids but also not welcomed in my tanks

Would you put the rock in a spare tank and try to get the shrooms to let go with direct flow? How long would that take too?

Also, any idea what these snails are I just found in my most recent post on this thread?

Last edited:

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The snails might be Collonista snails (good CUC if so) - Bayer dips won’t hurt the Spionids, but they may well hurt the sponges, so I’d personally pass on dipping the rock.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Would you put the rock in a spare tank and try to get the shrooms to let go with direct flow? How long would that take too?

Also, any idea what these snails I just found in my most recent post on this thread?
If pea size, collanista which breed readily in the tank and stay small - Good algae eaters
Are you trying to remove the shrooms?

OP
OP
Schulks

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If pea size, collanista which breed readily in the tank and stay small - Good algae eaters
Are you trying to remove the shrooms?
I am undecided. I think there is a lot of good stuff on this rock I want and it seems the spionids aren't too much to fear. I'm thinking about going at the big ones with a knife then pampering them with a bit of peroxide then just removing some algae.

Edit: another shot of the weird shell-less tiny snail

Yes they are pea sized.
20230528_220957.jpg

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I am undecided. I think there is a lot of good stuff on this rock I want and it seems the spionids aren't too much to fear. I'm thinking about going at the big ones with a knife then pampering them with a bit of peroxide then just removing some algae.

Edit: another shot of the weird shell-less tiny snail

Yes they are pea sized.
20230528_220957.jpg
This is a stomatella snail and excellent reef safe algae eater. Spinoid is more of a nuisance than harm

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Reference thread on spinoids if interesed

Last edited:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 26.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 37 82.2%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.4%
Back