What are these spots on my cyphestrea?

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6C13E7D5-BC0E-47C1-9EC5-4F830C31DA1C.jpeg

These spots showed up about a week ago. They come and go, but never go completely. The rest of the coral is growing I’m getting great polyp extension.

parameters:
1.026sg
Temp 79
Ph 7.7 -8.0
5-10 ppm nitrate
barely detectable phosphate
Undetectable nitrite and ammonia

Cal 440
Alk 10.0
Mag 1340
I am using kalk in my ato. dosing brs alk & cal, brightwell magnesion to water change

it’s getting 90 par if the torch above it closes, which is almost never, about 75 when the torch is open

in the time it took me to type this message and take the photo, the two spots I pointed at are now gone.

carmodpg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe those are flatworms. Especially given the fact that they disappeared. If they come back, I would shake or baste the coral to see if they dislodge.

carmodpg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can dip, but I would first just swirl it around (or baste) in the tank to see if the dots dislodge (which would confirm they’re FW). If that’s the case, just keep an eye out and try to suck up the FWs before they really take over.

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefbuilders had a video a while back removing flat worms from some of their hammers and they looked a ton like that. I cant remember the name but they end up getting a large enough population to start really irritating the corals. Definitely worth looking into. I would pull and dip everything.

OP
OP
Townes_Van_Camp

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I waited til tonight, water change night to dose flatworm eXit.

Made sure I hade 50% new WC water available and dosed the big three to my tank parameters. Then put 4 tablespoons of rox carbon in a media bag in an aquaclear 30. I started with the full 4 drops per 5 gallons. An hour later I have dosed an additional 50% as recommended. I have only seen about 20 total flat worms. But the ones I have seen have all died and been siphoned out or just siphoned out from the start. I’m going to watch for another hour then do my 50% WC and turn on the carbon for 24 hrs. I will continue to monitor for another 5 hours or so.

OP
OP
Townes_Van_Camp

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys!!
I believe those are flatworms. Especially given the fact that they disappeared. If they come back, I would shake or baste the coral to see if they dislodge.
Reefbuilders had a video a while back removing flat worms from some of their hammers and they looked a ton like that. I cant remember the name but they end up getting a large enough population to start really irritating the corals. Definitely worth looking into. I would pull and dip everything.
Both of you, thanks a ton! I used salifert flat worm exit. The product worked better than I expected. There were no side effects displayed by anything. I maybe saw 2 dozen during treatment and siphoned all of those out. Still did a 50% after six hours and ran carbon for 24. Haven’t seen a flat worm since.

happy cyphestrea
1FFB4129-72BB-4424-B837-612A64ECF413.jpeg

Back