What are these things growing on the side of my corals?

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, my candy cane coral has these reddish things sticking out of it. Any any as to what it is?

Screen Shot 2020-10-24 at 3.06.03 AM.png

DibsOnMcRibs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vermetid snails. You can crush them to eliminate them. They’re usually a byproduct of too many nutrients in the water column

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can bother the corals. They can also break off under your skin of you grab/poke one accidentally. They are often found in newer systems, and once things are nice a stable tend to die off on their own. The tube, however, will remain. Carefully breaking them off at the base will do the trick.

StlSalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can bother the corals. They can also break off under your skin of you grab/poke one accidentally. They are often found in newer systems, and once things are nice a stable tend to die off on their own. The tube, however, will remain. Carefully breaking them off at the base will do the trick.

Those things have sliced me open like a scalpel before, oh poking them is like taking a core sample from your finger, there's a hole left.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those things have sliced me open like a scalpel before, oh poking them is like taking a core sample from your finger, there's a hole left.

Sure, but they're easy to get out. Within a couple days they'll start to fester and then you can just squeeze them like a zit and they'll pop right out!!!o_O

J/K!!!!!! getting it out sooner (before the infection sets in) is a much better choice. Even better, a pair of heavy rubber gloves will prevent them from poking you in the first place!!!!!!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back