View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all

It’s been a while.

anyone know what these are.

keep in mind I zoomed way in there are very small

E330457B-A0BD-49CE-824F-1FF0DB5D8C39.jpeg 066022BE-2EAB-4C85-8531-9040E7A77C0A.jpeg

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Aiptasia anemone. Need to get some aiptasia-x Red Sea and eliminate them. Don’t try to scrape or pull as they will multiply.

Don’t wait as they will multiply and be a real problem.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are aiptasia try this before you use any chemicals. At night when the DT lights are off get lots of micro bubbles in your tank. Seriously, I have been working on trying to eliminate those aips for a couple years, I have a File fish and he does help, I have tried all other methods as well and they just multiply. Ever since my skimmer started introducing micro bubbles in the display I was in no hurry to fix it because I only run it at night. The aiptasia are not spreading any more and numbers have gone down, even in areas the File fish can't get to. My skimmer is still putting lots of micro bubbles in the MD at night and I turn it off before lights come on. In only three months I now only see 2 in my 75. I think the micro bubbles are toxic to them, I don't know about other nems but my corals and fish are fine.

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
If they are aiptasia try this before you use any chemicals. At night when the DT lights are off get lots of micro bubbles in your tank. Seriously, I have been working on trying to eliminate those aips for a couple years, I have a File fish and he does help, I have tried all other methods as well and they just multiply. Ever since my skimmer started introducing micro bubbles in the display I was in no hurry to fix it because I only run it at night. The aiptasia are not spreading any more and numbers have gone down, even in areas the File fish can't get to. My skimmer is still putting lots of micro bubbles in the MD at night and I turn it off before lights come on. In only three months I now only see 2 in my 75. I think the micro bubbles are toxic to them, I don't know about other nems but my corals and fish are fine.
That is interesting. I have a Fowler that is just absolutely infested. Seemed like overnight. I might try to see if I can do this.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is interesting. I have a Fowler that is just absolutely infested. Seemed like overnight. I might try to see if I can do this.
It's working for me. I have coarse sponge filter for barriers to keep the micro bubbles from entering the DT, but now they have been bypassing the sponge because they are just stuffed in there and have no baffles. I think I will just remove the sponge because they are just nitrate factories and keep the bubbles. Also the micro bubbles help polish the water, I noticed the water is clearer. There was an article on this, the micro bubbles attach to the large particles and keeps them suspended in the water column and the filter has a better chance of capturing them.

OP
OP
R

russells55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought the aiptasia-x Red Sea
LPS guy didn’t seam to think they were Aiptasia though. Said they seamed to “thin”

what’s everyone think

looking for another option before I mess with them

Cheers
Thanks

BB7CE5BE-93A4-4D53-A14A-7EE65A65139E.jpeg EDE49801-1A75-4FC0-91B8-C3D8939DFFF8.jpeg 16E632DC-D245-4833-B07B-859BFFD43605.jpeg

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all

It’s been a while.

anyone know what these are.

keep in mind I zoomed way in there are very small

E330457B-A0BD-49CE-824F-1FF0DB5D8C39.jpeg 066022BE-2EAB-4C85-8531-9040E7A77C0A.jpeg
LPS guy didn’t seam to think they were Aiptasia though. Said they seamed to “thin”

what’s everyone think

Cheers
Thanks

BB7CE5BE-93A4-4D53-A14A-7EE65A65139E.jpeg EDE49801-1A75-4FC0-91B8-C3D8939DFFF8.jpeg 16E632DC-D245-4833-B07B-859BFFD43605.jpeg
Not Aiptasia, which are thicker. These are hydroids and one of the rarer varieties that I have never had in my systems.
@vetteguy53081
@Erin1971Texas

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Colonial hydroids. I recommended taking the decoration out of the tank and tossing it. If you see them on any rocks, take the rocks out of the tank and chisel off the part with the hydroids. Nothing seems to reliably kill them.

There are many types of hydroids, some spread quickly and others seem to stay in one place. If there is just a small patch, you might be ok to leave them, but once they start spreading, you're in trouble.

(I always encourage people to not take drastic action or freak out about things in their tanks, but these guys can end up requiring a complete restart if they take over)

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So would a simple air pump with the nozzle put on the bottle of the tank do, you think ?

Bubbles would be going up to the surface, mostly covering one single column of water but also travelling a little at the surface before dying.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So would a simple air pump with the nozzle put on the bottle of the tank do, you think ?
Air pump with wooden air stone, you will only get micro bubbles with wooden air stone only. Lee's makes a good one, 2" wooden air diffusers Catalog # 12550, they also make a 3" model.
edit, diffuser not stone.

Screenshot 2022-12-04 at 16-04-26 Amazon.com Lee's 2-Inch Wooden Air Diffuser 2-Pack Aroma Dif...png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

what’s everyone think

Cheers
Thanks
If you didn't use the aiptasia-x yet try my method first. Like I said I tried every thing and they just multiply any way. That stuff does work but makes a mess in the tank.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
He may have fish that will eat shrimp. I got a few several years ago and I think my Flame Hawk ate most of them, I think I have one left some where.
Yep- hawk will eat a stick of dynamite if you put it in the tank

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Try a peppermint shrimp if it is in fact aiptasia
Unfortunately I can’t have any kind of clean up crew. I have a thin lined puffer, porcupine puffer, lion fish, panther and clown grouper, sunset wrasse, and a marbles cat shark. So no snails, shrimp, nudibranch, or even file fish, or butterfly.

Going to have to deal with them manually which probably means Aiptasia-X.

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
What kind of fish do you have?
Unfortunately I can’t have any kind of clean up crew. I have a thin lined puffer, porcupine puffer, lion fish, panther and clown grouper, sunset wrasse, and a marbles cat shark. So no snails, shrimp, nudibranch, or even file fish, or butterfly.

Going to have to deal with them manually which probably means Aiptasia-X. But I am going to try micro bubbles first.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Going to have to deal with them manually which probably means Aiptasia-X. But I am going to try micro bubbles first.
Good deal. Let me know how you make out. I am not sure how long it will take if you have as many as you claim, I was a couple weeks before I realized the aiptasia numbers are declining and not reproducing any more. WOW! Really? Is it that easy? Looks like it to me. I still have most of my Frank's F-Aiptasia and seems like I will not need it anymore.

Back