What are these worms?

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the repost because now I have better videos. Are these baby bristle worms? I’ve found at least 3 so far

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.MOV
    12.7 MB
  • FullSizeRender.mov
    4.6 MB
  • IMG_5566.MOV
    5.7 MB
OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look like dorvilleidae worms to me, commonly considered harmless clean-up crew.
Researched some pictures and it looks exactly like what I have. Glad they are harmless but I absolutely hate worms… :(

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Researched some pictures and it looks exactly like what I have. Glad they are harmless but I absolutely hate worms… :(
If you hate worms, you might be in the wrong hobby... it is nearly (if not completely) impossible to maintain a saltwater system without ever getting/always containing some type of worm.

Don't forget that many types are beneficial to the ecosystem.

OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you hate worms, you might be in the wrong hobby... it is nearly (if not completely) impossible to maintain a saltwater system without ever getting/always containing some type of worm.

Don't forget that many types are beneficial to the ecosystem.
Took out the macro lens and got another shot. So weird because I haven’t seen any before today and today I’ve seen 4. Haven’t added anything in a while either

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.MOV
    31 MB

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took out the macro lens and got another shot. So weird because I haven’t seen any before today and today I’ve seen 4. Haven’t added anything in a while either
Most likely they were hidden in the rocks before this and have just not been out while you are watching. Conditions could also be right for them to be growing and thriving right now.

Also, I'm not suggesting you should not enjoy the hobby, just that worms are a common part of this hobby and impossible to avoid for all practical considerations. ;)
It will be a stressful hobby if you try to eradicate all worms always.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you can dislike a tiny part of a hobby and still be in the right hobby lol
Absolutely! As for why you're seeing them now and haven't before, they could be hungry (which is good and means you're not overfeeding... the population size is dependant on the amount of food available). They could also just be moving to a new location for some reason.

OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you really hate worms you could get an arrow crab the worm destroyer, but if not very well fed it may start spearing fish
I actually don’t mind these ones much! I think I’m just a bristle worm hater lol. Thanks for the suggestion :)

OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely they were hidden in the rocks before this and have just not been out while you are watching. Conditions could also be right for them to be growing and thriving right now.

Also, I'm not suggesting you should not enjoy the hobby, just that worms are a common part of this hobby and impossible to avoid for all practical considerations. ;)
It will be a stressful hobby if you try to eradicate all worms always.
True, I don’t mind these ones as they are pretty small! Just not a fan of giant bristle worms so as long as that’s not the case I don’t mind haha. I’m just glad the tank is healthy and the worms are harmless :)

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back