What are these

AlexandraS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Over the last few weeks i have noticed these little white things on some of my adult snails. Any clue what they are or if they are good or bad? They are attached to more than one species of snail

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
AlexandraS

AlexandraS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that's them. Thanks for the id and websites. Ill be looking for a safe removal method.
Yea, sorry. There's a few in one of those links. But if you need more help definitely start a I need help removing pyramid snails thread. Im sure many will chime in.

Id like to get some more eyes on this too. Can you get a little better picture in a cup?

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can go at them two different ways, neither is great.

Manually remove them, you have to do this almost daily and you'll find more of them to remove at night. Or removing all snails and clams there by removing the pyramids food source.
Using a wrasse is often suggested, problem here is that the wrasse is asleep when the pyramids are most active.

For me I had to remove the food source.

Do you have any giant clams?

OP
OP
AlexandraS

AlexandraS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can go at them two different ways, neither is great.

Manually remove them, you have to do this almost daily and you'll find more of them to remove at night. Or removing all snails and clams there by removing the pyramids food source.
Using a wrasse is often suggested, problem here is that the wrasse is asleep when the pyramids are most active.

For me I had to remove the food source.

Do you have any giant clams?
No. No clams. Thankfully just snails and hermits

killingseed2000

hobo of time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dreaded vampire snail. if you can set up a small QT tank for your snails you could move them their for monitoring. because ya you need to check them a lot. pyramid snails eat other snails and clams. so once there is no food they will dye off. so any left in the tank would only last a good couple weeks.

to remove just, use some tweezers and tooth picks and just pull them all the snails. most around the trap doors. eggs are smaller but still white and visible. scrape off.

good luck.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dreaded vampire snail. if you can set up a small QT tank for your snails you could move them their for monitoring. because ya you need to check them a lot. pyramid snails eat other snails and clams. so once there is no food they will dye off. so any left in the tank would only last a good couple weeks.

to remove just, use some tweezers and tooth picks and just pull them all the snails. most around the trap doors. eggs are smaller but still white and visible. scrape off.

good luck.

Excellent idea. :D :D Can not like enough. ;)

OP
OP
AlexandraS

AlexandraS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20170524_143626.jpg
these are just from a few of my snails
Im bringing these to my local fish store tomorrow for positive identification but im pretty sure all of you on here nailed it. As far as a Quarantine tank what would be a minimum setup. Havent started one yet being im new to the hobby. Only been reefing since the end of march this year

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they were on your snails there is no doubt in my mind they are pyramids. Look exactly like grains of rice. Believe me, pyramids and me have locked heads more than once. When your a giant clam fanatic you become familiar with all the usual suspects.

Last edited:

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thoroughly inspect any snails you buy from now on - each and every time. I used to always check them and then I got lazy because I never found anything period then one day I purchased about 40 astraea snails from a trusted lfs. I brought them home. Thinking anything of it and put them in my tank. Couple hours later I was noticing all of the pyramids underneath them as they were stuck to my glass. It took me quite a long time to get rid of the pyramids from my tank because I didn't have anywhere at the time to remove the snails to period so every day I would pull them out clean them off and have to put them back. It finally took me just leaving them alone and letting them kill all the snails until they themselves starved to death.

I also learned a hard lesson about the trusted lfs, they're in it to make money and not to be trusted [emoji6]

OP
OP
AlexandraS

AlexandraS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i pulled my snails out immediately after getting a positive id earlier today and removed a few dozen ps during daylight hours. A few hours after the light went off the number found was drastically reduced to 5 or 6. Fingers crossed we cought the problem early enough to keep them in line and out of my tank but ill be pulling snails atleast once a day till i can set up a QT tank without sand to monitor more closely. I really appreciate everyones help

killingseed2000

hobo of time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you might not have many snails? maybe a small 5 gl maybe even a smaller one. you can use water from the main tank. do a water change and keep the water needed for the small tanks.

make sure you look for and scrape the eggs off the snails you are trying to save. they should stand out but you need magnifying glass and light. little white patches of white around the trap doors.

OP
OP
AlexandraS

AlexandraS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they are kind of cool to watch move about the rock work. the pyramid snails that is. they are like spider-man shooting webs and sling around.
Havent noticed anything with spiderman like qualities if so i might have to make a cool AF check this out post. Kmsl. For now i havent noticed any more and the owner of my local store wasnt in today and his helper didnt want to give me wrong info so i left them there and waiting for the owner to call probably tomorrow. Fingers crossed i got them all

Last edited:
OP
OP
AlexandraS

AlexandraS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I quarantined my snails in a beta bowl with an air tube and no sand after cleaning them very well. But do i need to feed them anything? If so what do i feed them?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 13 46.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • None.

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 7.1%
Back