What are these

darnoc23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know what these things are? At first I thought they were aiptasia, so I got nudribrachs but they didn't even touch them. When I took out the rock, they are in small hard tubes. They started out in one rock, but I'm starting to see them propogate into other unconnected rocks. What are these and how do I get rid of them? I feel like they're going to be taking over soon.

20210616_121022c.jpg

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Anyone know what these things are? At first I thought they were aiptasia, so I got nudribrachs but they didn't even touch them. When I took out the rock, they are in small hard tubes. They started out in one rock, but I'm starting to see them propogate into other unconnected rocks. What are these and how do I get rid of them? I feel like they're going to be taking over soon.

20210616_121022c.jpg
Those are colonial Hydroids it looks like.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Although representative,of hydroids, these may also be yellow polyp coral (below)

1623879475921.png
1623879483743.png

OP
OP
D

darnoc23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the responses. How do I get rid of them, hydroids or yellow polyp. They're getting into my other rockscape.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you pull the rock?

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take out rock and bleach it m, rinse it well dry in sun and put back in. Otherwise you will never be rid of them.

OP
OP
D

darnoc23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take out rock and bleach it m, rinse it well dry in sun and put back in. Otherwise you will never be rid of them.
Thanks! You mean dip them in bleach (sorry newbie). How much bleach to water? When I put back in, does it spike up any water chemistry as its curing? TIA.

jurgenph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
colonial hydroid... these things are a pain in the butt.
i fought them for many months, with putty, tweezers, and a blowtorch.

they have a free swimming jellyfish-like stage, that's how they spread.

good luck!

J.

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20210616_121022c.jpg
Where did you get your LR?

TnFishwater98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gloves are always a good move, any specific reason tho?
They are related to the jellyfish so I’m guessing they could sting you. Just saw this online for possible natural predators that would eat them.

-The lynx nudibranch (Phidiana lynceus) - Only eats hydroids, especially fond of Myrionema amboinense.
-Pterolidia Ianthina - sea slug that feeds soley on hydroids
-Sea Urchin Salmacis bicolor- Good eater of Myrionema. but very slow & can not get into the pores of the rocks where roots are.
-Diadema setosum (Sea Urchin) - Good eater of Myrionema. but very slow & can not get into the pores of the rocks where roots are. Will also eat sps corals
-Flameback Angelfish (Centropyge acanthops and Centropyge loriculus) - Hit & Miss and will occasionally nip at your corals especially your sps and some polyp corals.
-Dolabella auricolaria - sea hare

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
gloves are always a good move, any specific reason tho?
They can sting, but if you have any cuts on your hands. It makes it a lot easier for them.
As with all venom. You never know how your body will react. May not have any issues. Or, mild discomfort and swelling. Up to you though.

OP
OP
D

darnoc23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live Rock
Ah, like I said I'm a newbie. I actually got it from a fellow reefer here. Coral I purchased was attached to a small rock. I dipped it in CoralRx, thought nothing of it since it was only a few polyps then. Now they've grown into a colony and spreading to my other rocks.

TnFishwater98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always fun to see a hitchhiker deep down you always want to keep it. That’s why I have a 10 gallon I call my “Observing Tank”..It’s not really a QT because I know somethings I put in there I don’t plan on ever taking out.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 62 36.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 58 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back