What are those red things on my rock?

newreefguyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I'm new and just started cycling my 30 gal tank. These red things weren't there before. I also left the rocks on a 10:1 solution of water and bleach. I thought it will kill everything but these just popped up they are pretty much popping up on my rocks like a teen with acne.

Also side question I have a couple of dead bleached algae, which are white now, covering some of the rocks is it fine to leave them be? Ive tried scrubbing them off but they just won't let go.

In terms of my cycle I'm at 2 ppm ammonia with 0 nitrates.

PXL_20230602_072258696.jpg PXL_20230602_072245829.jpg PXL_20230602_072243164.jpg PXL_20230602_072229739.jpg

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this same thing on a lot of my rock before anything else started growing. I thought forbsure it was coraline since I had consumption of alk and calc before I had any corals on, BUT now that I have coraline algae growth, I suspect it's some kind of cyano that sticks into the rock. I had some algaes grow over the pink spots and when the algae died back, the color was gone.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not coraline I don't think. Rock is too new for that. It's a form of cyano or algae. Happens in all new systems and is part of the process.

chickendirt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be coralline. Mine came in kinda weird like that. I’d get these spots on the white rock, then they’d fluoresce, turn white and dissapear. I think there’s a thing with coralline growth, before it like “Eureka!!! I have coralline!!!” That it comes up in little splotches and then dies back a bit. It’s less noticeable on live rock.

I’m going through stretches where is comes in and dissapears. It ussually will glow under blow lights before it dies. My tank is just shy of four months old. Maybe a little older. I think it’s just figuring out how it wants to use and how much foundation elements are needed. I have some zoas, GSP, pulsing Xenia, hammer and a goniopora frag that are all doing well. Even the nem I’ve had for a little less than a month seems really happy.

I think the coralline is just more dependent on stable parameters. All those others seem to have more wiggle room.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easy way to tell. If it's not on your glass or powerheads, chances are it's not coraline. Also, the rocks are white. Other algae and what not show up before coraline does.

How old is the tank?

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easy way to tell. If it's not on your glass or powerheads, chances are it's not coraline. Also, the rocks are white. Other algae and what not show up before coraline does.

How old is the tank?
I'm going to have to disagree.
If you added Rock slight chance of Coraline on it it's going to grow on the Rock before it ever gets a chance to grow in the power heads or glass.

harrylarry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s coralline algae that has stained the rock. I have old dry rock that I’ve had for 20 yeears and it’s still stained no matter how many times it been scrubbed or bleached

danewguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How old is the tank?
op from other account just started the cycle but the rocks are from a friend

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
op from other account just started the cycle but the rocks are from a friend
This would just be the first time I've ever seen coraline be the first thing to present itself. Normally rocks go through all of the other stages of algae first. Never just white to coraline.

harrylarry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This would just be the first time I've ever seen coraline be the first thing to present itself. Normally rocks go through all of the other stages of algae first. Never just white to coraline.
It’s not the first thing. It on there stained permanently…. Good god ppl

harrylarry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s some oldddd rock sitting in my garage. Notice the pink coralline! It hasn’t seen water in years.

IMG_5307.jpeg

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not the first thing. It on there stained permanently…. Good god ppl
He already said in the original post that it wasn't there before. This is new.

Thumbster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s old coralline algae. Cleaning the rocks and then putting them in water exposed the color.
I just set my tank up a month ago and used old rocks that have been setting in a basket in the basement for 10+ years. They “absorbed” water and I can see pinks and purples. I’m sure the coralline is dead but some of it still retains the color.

Makara23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easy way to tell. If it's not on your glass or powerheads, chances are it's not coraline.
This is true some of the time, but not every time. I had coralline spread on rocks first before any glass or plastic.

Back