What are you dosing on top of All For Reef?

Daveph68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Switching from BRS Tropic Marin Balling Method to Tropic Marin AFR to free up two Versa Dosers for AWC. Do I need to add the TM Part C when only dosing AFR or add it manually when I adjust the ALK and Ca manually as needed?

OP
OP
nicowboy

nicowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Switching from BRS Tropic Marin Balling Method to Tropic Marin AFR to free up two Versa Dosers for AWC. Do I need to add the TM Part C when only dosing AFR or add it manually when I adjust the ALK and Ca manually as needed?
Well as recommended you should dose Ca manually, on the website it has a chart that indicates you what do if something goes down to put it back up

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We made a trial with mixing 25 % NP-Bacto-Balance with 75 % All-For-Reef and it worked well, also during prolonged storage.

I think I will repeat the trial with Plus-NP to see whether it also works with the higher nutrient concentrations.

However, it might depend on the nitrogen or phosphate compound whether it works. I have not tried higher quantities of nitrate, but I have no reason to doubt Randy's statement.

DIFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon guys,

I got a question, I recently bought All For Reef powder to make is simple with dosing and not have a bunch of bottles everywhere but my question is, do you dose something else on top of this amazing product? I’m looking to get my corals soon and want to provide everything they will need

thanks
I am in a similar boat to you and have started dosing Kalkwasser to help subsidize the cost. Although I think the All for reef is a great product, I replace most of my evaporation with Kalkwasser as it is so incredibly cheap. I figure once I have enough coral to need more DKH all for reef will do the trick and handle the trace elements.

Koty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We made a trial with mixing 25 % NP-Bacto-Balance with 75 % All-For-Reef and it worked well, also during prolonged storage.

I think I will repeat the trial with Plus-NP to see whether it also works with the higher nutrient concentrations.

However, it might depend on the nitrogen or phosphate compound whether it works. I have not tried higher quantities of nitrate, but I have no reason to doubt Randy's statement.
What about mixing the highly concentrated Elimi NP into AFR? This is relevant for me as i have a lot of fish that are heavily fed.So i think it (EMP) will have to be my long term carbon source.

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about mixing the highly concentrated Elimi NP into AFR? This is relevant for me as i have a lot of fish that are heavily fed.So i think it (EMP) will have to be my long term carbon source.
Elimi-NP into AFR is no problem since Elimi-NP is the pure carbon source. If there are any reactions forming precipitates it is between calcium and phosphates. Organic carbon dosing without nutrients mixed with AFR is no problem.

Koty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way, I wanted to use that opportunity to say that, in my experience, your products have been very effective in controlling N&P and, on the way, making my LPS corals look happy:
2022-10-10 10.54.34.jpg

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. Is there not a problem that the diluted Elimi NP will "ferment" in the dosing container"?
It is no problem if it is diluted with All-For-Reef or Carbo-Calcium since both calcium additives have an inhibitory effect on yeasts, bacteria and fungi that could ferment the organic carbon of Elimi-NP.

It is not recommended to dilute Elimi-NP or any other of our organic carbon dosing products with RO/DI water since indeed these products diluted in this way would ferment.

Thank you very much for your feedback! :) :) :)

OP
OP
nicowboy

nicowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Great info ! I like to read this option too

OP
OP
nicowboy

nicowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in a similar boat to you and have started dosing Kalkwasser to help subsidize the cost. Although I think the All for reef is a great product, I replace most of my evaporation with Kalkwasser as it is so incredibly cheap. I figure once I have enough coral to need more DKH all for reef will do the trick and handle the trace elements.
You add it in your ATO reservoir ? How many corals do you have in your tank so far?

OP
OP
nicowboy

nicowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Elimi-NP into AFR is no problem since Elimi-NP is the pure carbon source. If there are any reactions forming precipitates it is between calcium and phosphates. Organic carbon dosing without nutrients mixed with AFR is no problem.
Would you rather use Elimi NP or NP Balance with AFR solution ? Just making sure I understood what both products do, Np balance will control the nitrate and phosphate up to what level ? Can it push it down all the way to 0 or That’s more the job of Elimi NP?
My tank has been running for 3.5 months and I’m reading a good amount of nitrates, but don’t feed that much …

OP
OP
nicowboy

nicowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. Is there not a problem that the diluted Elimi NP will "ferment" in the dosing container"?
I know I feel the same way to see him replying to this tread ! I’m learning so much

OP
OP
nicowboy

nicowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way, I wanted to use that opportunity to say that, in my experience, your products have been very effective in controlling N&P and, on the way, making my LPS corals look happy:
2022-10-10 10.54.34.jpg
What is your nitrate and phosphate at after using Elimi NP?

DIFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You add it in your ATO reservoir ? How many corals do you have in your tank so far?
Nah I dose it through a pump. My tank is 65g total water volume and evaporates between 3-4 gallons a week depending on house humidity levels. I have a 5g container and dose 2.5g/week saturated Kalkwasser split evenly during the night to raise KH about .5 per day and helps with PH. This way I get the benefits of an Ato without worrying about it clogging. I have about 30 frags total now and have been trying to find the proper amount of all for reef to dose daily. I estimate I lose about 1.25 KH per day and Have been experimenting with 20-30ml/day all for reef in addition to the Kalkwasser. I have a newer tank and new frags so the numbers change pretty often. I also do a 5% water change every month mostly for sand rinsing purposes but I am sure it slightly helps with trace elements.

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you rather use Elimi NP or NP Balance with AFR solution ? Just making sure I understood what both products do, Np balance will control the nitrate and phosphate up to what level ? Can it push it down all the way to 0 or That’s more the job of Elimi NP?
We suggest phosphate concentration as the parameter to decide which one of our organic carbon dosing products to take. We suggest NP-Bacto-Balance for concentrations between 0.03 and 0.1 ppm and Elimi-NP at concentrations higher than 0.1 ppm phosphate.

NP-Bacto-Balance always supplies a minimum amount of phosphate and nitrogen compounds. In this way there is always some of the nutrients in the systems to form a dynamic equilibrium and the concentrations never get really to "0". With Elimi-NP it might be possible to push the nutrient in shortest supply down to 0.

Lsuhunter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using the liquid and now powder form of AFR for 2 years and love it. I do have to dose extra magnesium separate. I use Tropic Marin Classic salt which keeps magnesium around natural seawater levels, 1260ppm. If you used a salt with higher mag, then this probably would not be necessary.

OP
OP
nicowboy

nicowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I mistakenly dosed NP B-Balance for many months with a GFP reactor. I removed the GFO reactor last Fri Oct7 and replaced 6 ml NP B-Balance with 1 ml Elimi NP (100 g tank)
Screen Shot 2022-10-12 at 10.48.04.png
Oh wow, seems to be effective that way

OP
OP
nicowboy

nicowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We suggest phosphate concentration as the parameter to decide which one of our organic carbon dosing products to take. We suggest NP-Bacto-Balance for concentrations between 0.03 and 0.1 ppm and Elimi-NP at concentrations higher than 0.1 ppm phosphate.

NP-Bacto-Balance always supplies a minimum amount of phosphate and nitrogen compounds. In this way there is always some of the nutrients in the systems to form a dynamic equilibrium and the concentrations never get really to "0". With Elimi-NP it might be possible to push the nutrient in shortest supply down to 0.
I see, thank your for your response, I will test my water and see what’s my next move

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 11 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 44 34.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 41 31.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back