What are you dosing on top of All For Reef?

OP
OP
nicowboy

nicowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using the liquid and now powder form of AFR for 2 years and love it. I do have to dose extra magnesium separate. I use Tropic Marin Classic salt which keeps magnesium around natural seawater levels, 1260ppm. If you used a salt with higher mag, then this probably would not be necessary.
Great ! Thanks

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We suggest phosphate concentration as the parameter to decide which one of our organic carbon dosing products to take. We suggest NP-Bacto-Balance for concentrations between 0.03 and 0.1 ppm and Elimi-NP at concentrations higher than 0.1 ppm phosphate.

NP-Bacto-Balance always supplies a minimum amount of phosphate and nitrogen compounds. In this way there is always some of the nutrients in the systems to form a dynamic equilibrium and the concentrations never get really to "0". With Elimi-NP it might be possible to push the nutrient in shortest supply down to 0.

Without going into much detail is the Elimi-NP based on Lanthanum Chloride?

Per your comment above regarding the trial that would be interesting to test. I have a higher phosphate well cover .6 ppm according to Hanna (flashing 200) but do not like running reactors. I've tried a few bag options but do not like those much either.

Can one mix in Elimi-NP to AFR to test? If so what would be the ratio? Curious.

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without going into much detail is the Elimi-NP based on Lanthanum Chloride?
No, Elimi-NP is only organic carbon dosing, no lanthanum. We recommend dosage according to phosphate concentration because we think this is the most important nutrient we easily and quite precisely can test for.

Elimi-NP can be mixed to AFR. The ratio depends on how much AFR you are dosing and how much Elimi-NP you want to dose.

If you want to dose 0,5 ml Elimi-NP per 100 l/26.4 US-gall. and you are dosing for example 20 ml of AFR per 100 l/26.4 US-gall. the ratio AFR to Elimi-NP would be 40 : 1 (20 : 0,5).

M4sonic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a tiny bit off topic here, i dose AFR in my tank and have been considering using np plus and bacto balance in my tank as well.
But i have no skimmer (and no use for one since my nutrients are low to the point of dosing more, hence the np plus) can i still use these products?

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a tiny bit off topic here, i dose AFR in my tank and have been considering using np plus and bacto balance in my tank as well.
But i have no skimmer (and no use for one since my nutrients are low to the point of dosing more, hence the np plus) can i still use these products?
Yes, no problem. I always did run systems without skimming, and organic carbon dosing always worked here also. You only have to make sure a sufficient oxygen supply. Do you have a sump? The downpipe usually will ensure good oxygen supply.

M4sonic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, no problem. I always did run systems without skimming, and organic carbon dosing always worked here also. You only have to make sure a sufficient oxygen supply. Do you have a sump? The downpipe usually will ensure good oxygen supply.
sadly no, it's a waterbox peninsula mini 25 AIO.
i could use an air stone but apparently those make a big mess with salt going everywhere.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, Elimi-NP is only organic carbon dosing, no lanthanum. We recommend dosage according to phosphate concentration because we think this is the most important nutrient we easily and quite precisely can test for.

Thank you. Makes sense.

Elimi-NP can be mixed to AFR. The ratio depends on how much AFR you are dosing and how much Elimi-NP you want to dose.

If you want to dose 0,5 ml Elimi-NP per 100 l/26.4 US-gall. and you are dosing for example 20 ml of AFR per 100 l/26.4 US-gall. the ratio AFR to Elimi-NP would be 40 : 1 (20 : 0,5).

Thank you. I believe I am in the 105 ml of AFR per day in my 210 display. Probably makes sense to just manually dose Elimi-NP if I was to use it again and stop trying to be lazy :D

Thank you again. Appreciate the time and details. Keep up the great work.

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sadly no, it's a waterbox peninsula mini 25 AIO.
i could use an air stone but apparently those make a big mess with salt going everywhere.
Heavy circulation will likely also work, it depends ...

Thank you again. Appreciate the time and details. Keep up the great work.
You're welcome! Thank you for your feedback! :)

OP
OP
nicowboy

nicowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heavy circulation will likely also work, it depends ...

You're welcome! Thank you for your feedback! :)
For real thank you for all your answers ! I’m happy I chose tropic marin because it seems like a easy way to do it while keeping all the parameters checked, and less headaches with a ton of bottles and cables

OP
OP
nicowboy

nicowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I mistakenly dosed NP B-Balance for many months with a GFP reactor. I removed the GFO reactor last Fri Oct7 and replaced 6 ml NP B-Balance with 1 ml Elimi NP (100 g tank)
Screen Shot 2022-10-12 at 10.48.04.png
Also random question but where do you buy bacto balance !? In the states for example?

AviL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose nitrates (NeoNitro). Can’t stop nitrates from bottoming out with all for reef. I feed 4 times a day on a 25g nano and still can’t keep nitrates above 0. Overstocked my tank to have 5 fish, still no nitrates.

Will be moving to ESV 2 part soon in hopes of that fixing my nitrate issue.
I have similar issue. But phosphates too high. What are your phos levels?

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have similar issue. But phosphates too high. What are your phos levels?
My phosphates were under 0.09. I have moved on to ESV 2-part dosing. Now I have to use GFO to keep phosphates under 0.08, but have detectable nitrates. Cheaper and more manageable that way.

Bramzor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We made a trial with mixing 25 % NP-Bacto-Balance with 75 % All-For-Reef and it worked well, also during prolonged storage.

I think I will repeat the trial with Plus-NP to see whether it also works with the higher nutrient concentrations.

@Hans-Werner Where you able to do the trial with Plus-NP? I’m in a situation where I want to auto dose AFR and Plus-NP in my nano tank. But dosing 0.20ml a day is not an option with a dosing pump. If I could add that to the AFR (which I dose 1.8ml a day) it would be the simplest solution. I guess such a small dose compared to the AFR shouldn’t cause any issues where a 1:4 might.

Bramzor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Hans-Werner I did try AFR and Plus-NP in the same container at a 19:1 ratio but I noticed it's a bit cloudy and after 1-3h there is a white substance on the bottom of the container. It will mix again if I shake the container a bit but I guess this will not allow me to auto dose both of them using one doser.

Bramzor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lou Ekus Maybe you have an idea? Haven't tried AFR+BB in the same container but I expect a similar outcome.

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lou Ekus Maybe you have an idea? Haven't tried AFR+BB in the same container but I expect a similar outcome.
In don't have an opinion on this as I have never tried any of these combos. But it sounds like Hans-Werner Balling did and it may not be a good idea.

Mechano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On top of AFR I do use kalkwasser to maintain alkalinity and bump the PH up a bit. Been doing it for the last 3 months and I noticed a massive increase in coraline algae

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back