What are you feeding your corals and at what times?

Ed Chan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently feeding Reef Roids (target and broadcast) once a week (with polyp booster about 10-15 mins prior) and coral frenzy 2-3 times a week (also target and broadcast) and it seems to be fine for the tank, but I have yet to see my Acans/Micromussas plump up like others. I feed in the late evenings generally when the blues are on.

I heard that Reef Nutrition R.O.E. is also great for corals and fish alike.

I wanted to ask the group to see what others are doing to keep their amazing corals all fat and happy! Thanks in advance!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Reef roids or Coral frenzy when the lights just go out

OP
OP
Ed Chan

Ed Chan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also broadcast feed Hikari, but my fish pretty much eat everything!

Do you target feed Reef Roids when the lights go out?

I broadcast feed Hikari Spirulina and Brine Shrinp, and I target feed Reef Roids every Saturday, and PE Calanus twice a week.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I also broadcast feed Hikari, but my fish pretty much eat everything!

Do you target feed Reef Roids when the lights go out?
I suspend feed at lights out but you CAN target feed in the early evening

FishyDP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I broadcast feed and alternate between reef roids and me coral food, along with chopped frozen mix, 1-2x per week. I turn my return pump down for about 15 minutes, and let powerheads deliver the food, usually in the evening.

OP
OP
Ed Chan

Ed Chan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies so far. I just see all these posts online with pics of their LPS extending their feeding tentacles and I have never seen this out of my acans/micromussas.

Wanted to see what everyone's secret was to getting them to eat, get fat, and grow!

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lps corals do pretty well at catching food from the water column. While I have target fed in the past, I don't think it's necessary. I use Rod's Food and LRS Reef Frenzy for either method.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I generally just broadcast feed.

rogersb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed only frozen so I think they get itty bits of that during the week. On the weekend I do a water change and Target feed reef roids to the pieces I want to grow faster, skipping anything that grows like a weed.

FragileReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mix consists of: LRS, reef nutrition tdo pellets and phyto feast, hikari freeze dried daphnia.

LRS is the best mix of frozen food I've found. It's clean, fresh, and in packaging I prefer.
ReefNutrition TDO pellets is what the breeders use to produce beautiful fish. I like the pellets buoyancy it tends to float when dry and when you soak it a can be sort of neutrally buoyant and float around the water column before getting taken out. I also like the fact that it can be crumbled I'm too much smaller sizes and it also comes in a huge array of sizes. phyto feast is the bottom of the food chain and it needs to be introducedinto home aquarium so that our micro fauna do well and our filter feeders have a lot to eat and can reproduce.
The freeze dried daphnia is a new edition and I have mixed feelings about it. On one hand most of my inhabitants eat small Crustaceans and Daphne has proven to be a very good clearing out digestive system. But being freeze dried it has a problem sinking in the aquarium even after being soaked. But might work better as a target feed.

I did remove some items.
Amino acids were causing cyano. Since stopping most of the cyano is gone.
Brightwell macrovore anenome food. This was more of a it started to expire and even though I got a good first feeding response with it don't think they make the liquid foods any longer.
Bloodworms weren't as big of a hit as I thought they would be in a saltwater aquarium
mysis cubes are always a problem because if I didn't feel like I needed to feed a whole cube I had to throw away the rest of the cube.

that's what I'm playing with for now but ask me next month have it to a different mix

crizain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My acans and candy canes are always fully extended first thing in the morning, about hour before ramp up on light schedule. Target feed reef Roids twice a week.

leorii2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed mostly on turning to Bleu at night ..Reef Reid’s and reef chilly I alternate between target feeding and broadcast.
I suspend the o/f for 10 minutes poise the wave and stop the canister till of is back on.
My sun coral gets target feeding of frozen mysis at night ( I tube protect while feeding so the fish don’t eat it all

Royce White

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed twice a day of an ambrosia of different sea fish from the gro. and add frozen mysis, brine and blood worms with reef roids mixed in, has been working great for years.

Oliver d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed a DIY mix of food consisting of mussels clam meat fish roe sea urchin eggs shrimps and brine shrimp made into a liquidized form also mixed into this is Red Sea reef energy A and B.I broud feed this every night after lights out.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.6%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 73 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back