What are you using to monitor your Alk?

What do you use to monitor your alk? And how do you like it (comment in the thread)?

• Kh Guardian by CoralVue

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Alkatronic by Focustronic

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • Trident by Neptune

Votes: 15 10.6%
  • Kh Director by GHL

Votes: 7 4.9%
  • Reefbot by Reef Kinetics

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Mindstream by Step Ahead innovations

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Old fashioned hobby titration kit (at least weekly)

Votes: 35 24.6%
  • Hanna Checker (at least weekly)

Votes: 63 44.4%
  • I don't really monitor my alk

Votes: 6 4.2%

• Total voters

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't call Chemistry Tititration Tests as OLD FASHIONED.... (they are only old when they expire and shouldn't be used)

For certain Parameters for us Hobyists needs, they are more reliable/affordable/practical than any other modern methods. (ie, I wouldn't want a Nitrite Monitor, or Ammonia, that's just for new Tanks or QT)

For Alk, yes Automatic Monitoring is nice. (If done right)

Last edited:

MartinWaite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alkatronic coupled with Dosetronic is what I'd like to have, leaps and bounds ahead of the field and then when Mastertronic is released then the aquatic hobby will be mastered by the company that's for the hobbyist by the hobbyists.

Reefinny

WYSIWYG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to pick up a Trident in June, I run it one one of my two systems. I have actually used it to "spot check" my numbers from my salifert testing on my 2nd system and have always been right in line with what I get.

If you have the means and the space I would recommend it. Eventually I will pick up another unit for my 2nd system.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
API. EAsiest test kit I've tried and as researchhers are using the meq/l standard more than accurate enough for my tastes. I got a Hanna but was disappointed when I compared it with a friends Hanna. Testing the same sample of water with both reagents in both testers we got 4 different numbers that varied by .9 dKH

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t bring myself to “needing” an automatic tester. Nice to have yes but not needed.

Agree that it’s more nice-to-have than must-have. I struggle with the rote tasks in this hobby, and look to automation and A.I. as task replacements, so maybe a bit more must-have for me.

GugsJr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alkatronic with dosetronic is the perfect combination.

I just changed my dosing to 6 times a day instead of 4 to improve stability

Screenshot_20191016-154145_Alkatronic Lite.jpg

Steve Elb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So with all the new alk monitoring devices out on the market, I'm curious about what you all are using. What is your experience with your alk monitors so far? Btw, if you're using something that monitors more than alk, feel free to talk about those features too.

Vote in the poll and comment below!

*Btw, if I forgot to include any monitors please mention them and tag me below so I'll add it to the poll.
Hanna. Quick and easy...as well as consistent

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using a KHD for 18months now, and after some initial teething troubles with reagent bubbles now as long as it’s calibrated regularly it does exactly as advertised... it did take me awhile to hand automation of my Alk over to it, but after a year I realised i was being daft and over cautious! I’ve never looked back and with the safety feature so that control of alk dosing is suspended in the case of an extraordinary test result I’m in complete control and feel reassured that this most vital and changeable additive is well controlled and stable. It has saved one potential disaster so far when my dosing tube blocked up and it alerted me when my alk fell.. I did go through the trying to compare the results it was giving me to the Hanna I was used to using, but eventually common sense took over and I stopped using the Hanna, to double check it... how can I using a dodgy syringe and eyeballing levels ever expect to be as accurate as a machine that I had calibrated numerous times using weight lol... it’s all a learning curve

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alkatronic for the past few weeks. I still test periodically with Hanna or Salifert, but I love to not have to. It's a bit of a pricey initial investment, but after that is very inexpensive to operate. I currently have it testing 4 times a day and the reagent will last me a month or more.

My favorite thing about Alkatronic is how accessible the creator is. He really listens to his customers suggestions and makes continual improvements.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn’t matter whether you use a Apex trident, a GHL director, a Alkatronic, or whatever else is out there. If you can afford it, I strongly recommend some type of controller that monitors your parameters throughout the day. I loved my Hanna, and still do, but like most people, I didn’t check it everyday. Thanks to my trident I noticed that my Alk dropped .7 dkh within the last 20 or so hours. I had filled my Alk container up yesterday, and after having an issue with the tubing I had bought from BRS, and yes I do buy everything from BRS, being to stiff and not hooking up to the connection properly on my Cal, I kinda knew what happened. The tubing was to stiff and when I moved the container to fill it, it caused a air gap in the connection and lost vacuum on the tubing. I eventually would have found this out as my container level would not have dropped, but what would my Alk be when I noticed it.

D0E3F3A9-37F6-4996-9DF4-421AA450F7EE.png

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
KH Director 4x daily for now, Hanna once a week to make sure, might just keep doing that for a couple more months. The Hanna reads a consistent .3 dKH higher than the KHD, and reads the 7.5 reference solution as 7.8.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back