What are your earliest mistakes that are a big part of your reefing process now?

Wuffletoast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back when I started almost a year ago, I didn't realize how big of a deal drip acclimation and having a QT process was. Due to that, two fish and a shrimp were lost.

I was just curious what others did or did not do at the start of their reefing hobby that now seems impossible to forget due to the outcome of not knowing.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My early mistake was putting a power bar on the floor by the tank with wires running straight down to the power bar. I once woke up at 3 am hearing electrical buzzing and smelling smoke.

That’s how I learned about the life saving importance of a drip loop, and every wire always has a drip loop now and the power bar is always raised off the floor.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Wuffletoast

Wuffletoast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My early mistake was putting a power bar on the floor by the tank with wires running straight down to the power bar. I once woke up at 3 am hearing electrical buzzing and smelling smoke.

That’s how I learned about the life saving importance of a drip loop, and every wire always has a drip loop now and the power bar is always raised off the floor.
I had to change my entire wire work due to a HoB skimmer that needed to "work out the overflow of water in the cup before functioning properly." Now my power strip hangs inside the stand with P shape for all cables.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Wuffletoast

Wuffletoast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stocked too many fish too fast. Didn’t feed a varied enough diet no casualties from that but much healthier fish now.
My royal Gramma turned pinkish purple for a while before I added a variety to their diet. Now they are a healthy violet color.

Upvote 0

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Testing water before adding a fish. So obvious but sometimes a drip acclimation works faster or slower than usual and sometimes you just need to float.

Learned this with an eel in a massive bag. Obviously the usual drip didn’t do anything and realized too late. I added the eel while the salinity in the bag was a lot lower. It survived but had a bad case of osmotic shock.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Wuffletoast

Wuffletoast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My biggest mistake was not having a lid. I unfortunately lost two fish because they jumped into my sump and got stuck.
I wanted to set mine up without a lid, but reddit horror stories taught me to stick with the ugly mesh lid. Helps with C02 though.

Upvote 0

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back