What are your favorite Apex features and toys?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just pulled the trigger on a new-to-me Apex classic! I'm new to Apex and excited about all of the toys that Neptune has for their system. I'm already building my wishlist of toys for it! What are your favorite features and toys?

BlueCursor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DOS for automatic waterchanges!!!!!!

Never have to worry about matching parameters before a water change. Never have to adjust water temperature. Never have to do a water change manually! Pricey unit, but worth every penny to avoid those Saturday morning 10% water changes.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
DÕS for automatic waterchanges!!!!

Never have to worry about matching parameters before a water change. Never have to adjust water temperature. Never have to do a water change manually! Pricey unit, but worth every penny to avoid those Saturday morning 10% water changes.
I actually hadn't thought about using the DOS this way...but now I think it's DEFINITELY going on my list!! Thanks!

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just pulled the trigger on a new-to-me Apex classic! I'm new to Apex and excited about all of the toys that Neptune has for their system. I'm already building my wishlist of toys for it! What are your favorite features and toys?

Why did you go with the classic over the new one?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a classic lite myself; three years old. I've 'invested' in lots of other modules over time. My favorite is WXM control of my vortech pumps; so much easier than futzing with those three buttons. VDM control of my Kessil lights. Salinity measurement through PM2 is good as is PAR monitoring via PMK. Keep eyeing the DO PM3 module, but the cost of the probe has scared me off.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Why did you go with the classic over the new one?
I picked up a used classic with a few additional bells and whistles for about half of what the new one would have cost. I would have liked to get the new one, but my budget wouldn't allow for it.
Got a classic lite myself; three years old. I've 'invested' in lots of other modules over time. My favorite is WXM control of my vortech pumps; so much easier than futzing with those three buttons. VDM control of my Kessil lights. Salinity measurement through PM2 is good as is PAR monitoring via PMK. Keep eyeing the DO PM3 module, but the cost of the probe has scared me off.
Thanks! I'll definitely want the WXM since I run both radions and vortechs. I also would like to pick up a PM2 and salinity probe.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

jhatfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Cool... auto water changes! Can you describe how you have this set up? I don't have an Apex at the moment but would still like to hear what folks are doing with theirs.

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Power outage notifications. You have to get a separate power supply, but combined with the ups can be a life saver. The email and text messages saved my tank when we were on vacation this past week. To apex I owe my tanks survival, really would never be without one again.

JustinFromAL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Already some solid suggestions. I will say the PM2, salinity monitor can be a bear to calibrate. It's a great failsafe but should always be checked manually to confirm.

Save some $$$ for the FMK, you're GOING to want this. I got in the beta with a bit of a "meh, maybe it's not for me" attitude, but now I think they're indispensable. I'm already planning uses for my second one when they come out! :)

Also, if you don't already have some high-end power heads the WAVs really are a lot of bang for the buck.

jlanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second the suggestion of getting the WXM to control your Vortech water pumps. I like that I can switch between the different modes and various maximum speeds throughout the entire day.

However, I still prefer using the ReefLink to control my Radions with EcoSmart Live.
When I take photos of my tank, I use the app to change my lighting to about 14K. When I'm done, I switch it back to the schedule.

Jim C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Can you elaborate on this? How does the dos allow you to not have to match parameters before the water change?

gettaReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Already some solid suggestions. I will say the PM2, salinity monitor can be a bear to calibrate. It's a great failsafe but should always be checked manually to confirm.

Save some $$$ for the FMK, you're GOING to want this. I got in the beta with a bit of a "meh, maybe it's not for me" attitude, but now I think they're indispensable. I'm already planning uses for my second one when they come out! :)

Also, if you don't already have some high-end power heads the WAVs really are a lot of bang for the buck.
I'm interested in the FMK also. I'm curious, where did you place yours and where else are you planning on installing the flow monitors? And why do you say having one (or more) is so important now after being in the beta program? It is exciting to think of the possibilities of the FMK and being able to control different things based on what measurements it is monitoring. And with the addition of an Alk monitor also (and who knows what else they will roll out!), having a controller like the Apex will really be capable of almost anything.

thabizness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do AWC with two PMUP pumps. Cheaper than DOS and seems faster. I was using DOS for AWC before.

thabizness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a PMUP in my sump connected to a EB832 that goes to a drain in my laundry room. I then have another PMUP connected to a EB8 in my 50g saltwater barrel in another room that drains to my sump. I used to do AWC with DOS so I already had the 1/4 inch hose ran thru my ceiling to the barrel and drain. Used a 3/8 to 1/4 adapter on the PMUPs and connected them to existing hoses. I have float switches for correct sump level. I run the PMUP for how ever long I want (right now Im just eyeballing it but later I will calculate time/gallons) and turn it off. Then I kick on the PMUP in the water barrel and it runs till the float is triggers. Its two buttons right now but eventually it will be setup on a outlet for 10g, 20g, or what ever gallon water change (up to the 50g barrel size)

The only gotcha is that the PMUP creates a siphon from the barrel to the sump so I attached a always off solenoid to that line and when the PMUP comes on the solenoid opens (also connected to same plug in EB8)

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 67 51.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back