What are your favorite "best Value" LED's?

lexinverts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if you consider $650 a budget light you’re probably in a tax bracket we all wish to be in.

So, If I needed enough spread to cover a Reefer 250, I could choose a ReeFi with 72 leds for $650, or a Radion with 46 leds + WiFi module + diffuser for 900+. Since I’m not actually in a high tax bracket, I would go for the better value in the 72 leds with a 3 yr warranty for 250-ish less. I could save money short-term and choose 2 Ocean Revives for $400, but then I would need to replace them when the fans burn out in 18 months.

Chas J

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like my Illumagic Blaze. I haven't had it for long,but so far I like it.

lexinverts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to agree you cant compare a XR15 ($450) to the Dual extreme ($650) not only on the number of LED's, but also the tank coverage is double the size on the Dual compared to the XR15. Tank coverage on the Dual extreme is closer to a XR30, not a XR15. But ya $650 isn't really "affordable" for those on a budget. Comparing the Reefbreeder 24 V2+ ($399) and the Dual Extreme ( $650) and the G4 XR30 ( $850) is interesting.

I haven’t tried the ReefBreeder lights, but if they have a 2 yr warranty they sound like a good value. Like I said, I am done with disposable LED lights.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice to see all the love for the photon V2. they are a solid light! I had a 24"on a 90 cube then got a RS 750 so I got another 24" so I'll be runing 2 over the tank .

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep- I am in the market for new lights - so started folllwing this thread. Noopesync ( 4 K7's plus one controller = $676 ) versus Reef Breeders ( 2 photon 24 V2+ 's [$800] or one photon 50 V2+ [$720]) are in the running for me - hoping for some Black Friday deals - the Dual extreme is already on sale though - so doubtfull any Black Friday deal will lower that $650 price. I am Lighting a 60 inch x 24 x24 150 gallon tank so cannot get away with one Dual Extreme and two puts me over budget which is $600- $800 max.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep- I am in the market for new lights - so started folllwing this thread. Noopesync ( 4 K7's plus one controller = $676 ) versus Reef Breeders ( 2 photon 24 V2+ 's [$800] or one photon 50 V2+ [$720]) are in the running for me - hoping for some Black Friday deals - the Dual extreme is already on sale though - so doubtfull any Black Friday deal will lower that $650 price. I am Lighting a 60 inch x 24 x24 150 gallon tank so cannot get away with one Dual Extreme and two puts me over budget which is $600- $800 max.

I am pretty much in the same boat... 55x26x24 WB peninsula if I can convince the GF that is.

the 50 V2+ and the K7 are the top of the list. but Ai 26 are a close 2nd.
have you looked at the noops T5 hybrid?

Crotalus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Reef Brite XHO. I think they are an over looked alternative. They run from one end of the tank to the other so you don't get the disco effect and are reasonably priced.

SS-Ride

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regardless, after reading these comment. I’m not going with Radions for my frag tank. They look great on the dt, but sounds like i paid 3x what I needed to for similar quality and less output

Mickeyt1reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy with noopsyche. running 2 @ 60% on the blues and 10% max on white. The tank is a 45.2 so like 24” x 24 x 18 I think. One was good. got a deal on another and picked it up just for better coverage.

15D77566-6819-4223-A133-957D523F0F75.jpeg

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planning an upgrade when we finalize. Probably going with ocean revives or noops on a glass cages maybe a 240g. Still tossing around if it will be a butterfly tank or a coral tank. At ~$150 a unit low enough cost to do either will just be less units on the fowlr.
My budget lights right now are ai primes. Not as low cost but close and very controllable through the myai app.

LiveWire

Master Electrician/Certified RODI Guru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard very good things about the Ocean Revive Arctic T-247B Full Spectrum LED"S but do not have any experience with them myself. I have also heard that they easily will grow corals but do have some issues from time to time but if your hand the issues are easy to repair. For a budget they would fit well at $190.00 a piece. Does anyone have any experience with these and if so could you ring in on your experience.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL. I think we need to specify what is meant by "budget" a little more clearly. A $700 unit that covers 24" is not what I would consider to be a budget option. Just because it doesnt have the name Ecotech Marine on the label doesnt automatically mean it is a budget item. Radions are not the most expensive lights out there. I suppose $700 is in many people's budget, so it's not technically wrong, but why dont we put an actual price cap for a single unit on here just to streamline the discussion a bit

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard very good things about the Ocean Revive Arctic T-247B Full Spectrum LED"S but do not have any experience with them myself. I have also heard that they easily will grow corals but do have some issues from time to time but if your hand the issues are easy to repair. For a budget they would fit well at $190.00 a piece. Does anyone have any experience with these and if so could you ring in on your experience.

The only Ocean Revive units you will find are new old stock from retailers who have alot left over. They've gone belly up, so once you buy it, you're on your own. Another thing I did not like about them is they pair the 420 nm diodes along with the white red and green, preventing you from mimicking an ab+ type profile. If you want any decent amount of 420 nm you're forced to crank the whites which most people would not want to do.

One good thing about them is they use an actual heat sink under that housing. Not just a flat sheet of aluminum.

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL. I think we need to specify what is meant by "budget" a little more clearly. A $700 unit that covers 24" is not what I would consider to be a budget option. Just because it doesnt have the name Ecotech Marine on the label doesnt automatically mean it is a budget item. Radions are not the most expensive lights out there. I suppose $700 is in many people's budget, so it's not technically wrong, but why dont we put an actual price cap for a single unit on here just to streamline the discussion a bit
Agreed (somewhat) maybe we should add “price per coverage” since something like the Photon 50 @ $715 is rather budget friendly for a 4-5ft tank where you’d be spending $1200-2500+ for the big name brands.

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will get 24x24 on anything under 18" deep, anything over 18" they suggest it's more of a 18x18 spread. I was an Ecotech user since gen 1, and made the switch and have never looked back. I am beyond impressed with the K7, looking past the cost savings (b/c that is worth it alone), the quality is top notch, the look is very good out in the open, and they have done wonderful for me. I am setting up a 24x24x12 tank for the kids and will run 1 K7 over that tank, and will be able to grow anything I put in it. I run 2 x 36" Hybrid with 6 K7 over my 83x35x15 grow trough and I had to dial the K7's down a LOT. @Manose is running a 36" Hybrid with a pair of K7's over his 36" rimless tank and it is beautiful.

There are so many great lighting options out there. if you check out the noopsycheusa fb page there are a lot of users posting photos. @Dana Riddle did a great review on them here as well.

Best bang for the buck without giving up quality IMO, Noop's are hard to beat!

I've been giving these a hard look for a 40B build that I am in the middle of. Full coverage for anything I want to grow with two lights, a full function controller and two mounts for just a shade over $400 is hard to beat.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been giving these a hard look for a 40B build that I am in the middle of. Full coverage for anything I want to grow with two lights, a full function controller and two mounts for just a shade over $400 is hard to beat.

or 2 AI primes for about the same. guess you dont get the mounts but you do get APP.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 147 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back