What are your favorite reef restoration and coral conservation organizations? Post the link to their sites and info about them here!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
coral restoration.jpg

Let's talk about the best groups/organizations that we as reef hobbyists can support to give back to the effort for reef restoration/conservation. Post about your favorite organizations here and be sure to include a link so the rest of us can support them as well! I'd love for this to become a thread that's a library for people wanting to help!

Last edited:

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My favorite reef conservation organization is Rising Tide Conservation - "saving the ocean one fry at a time".

"Rising Tide Conservation is dedicated to developing and promoting aquaculture of marine ornamental fish species through the collaborative efforts of researchers, public aquaria, hobbyists, pet industry professionals, and conservation groups. Rising Tide Conservation facilitates sustainability in the aquarium industry by supporting marine ornamental fish aquaculture research in order to reduce the impacts of wild fish collection on fish populations and the coral reefs where they live."

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Misool Foundation protects a huge section of Raja Ampat as a "no take zone". This allows all creatures from the bottom on up to mantas to thrive and spread to surrounding islands outside the no take zone. Total restoration of the area previously decimated by shark hunting and dynamite.
"There is greater biodiversity — that is to say, a larger number and greater diversity of fish, coral, and mollusks — on these reefs than anywhere on earth. A single football field-sized patch of Misool’s reefs has nearly five times the number of coral species as the entire Caribbean Sea."*

Tony Thompson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent idea. Out of interest which conservation projects or organisations do Reef 2 Reef support through donation? Would be nice to know a percentage of revenues go towards conservation.

I would also be interested in any vendors or trade bodies that make donations to marine conservation and which ones in particular. I support ADE through sales in my shop along with personal contributions to a range of organisations.

Look forward to hearing from others including management at reef 2 reef and any suggestions.

Last edited:

Itsadeepbluesea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will certainly be following this. What do you guys think of this one?

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

austibella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Misool Foundation protects a huge section of Raja Ampat as a "no take zone". This allows all creatures from the bottom on up to mantas to thrive and spread to surrounding islands outside the no take zone. Total restoration of the area previously decimated by shark hunting and dynamite.
"There is greater biodiversity — that is to say, a larger number and greater diversity of fish, coral, and mollusks — on these reefs than anywhere on earth. A single football field-sized patch of Misool’s reefs has nearly five times the number of coral species as the entire Caribbean Sea."*
Awsome foundation. Gives hope for the future we need that foundation here in America to protect our reefs.

Jreefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral Vita has some interesting ideas as far as partnering with companies that have a vested interest in reef health (hotels, HOAs, dive guide companies etc). They also focus on land based farms so they can "train" corals to get more used to recent ocean conditions.

Sbpe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In addition to Coral Reef Foundation mentioned above. Reef Relief is another organization in the Florida Keys.
www.Reefrelief.org

Julian@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are two great foundations that we at TRITON Applied Reef Bioscience fully support:

http://oceangardener.org/

AND

Last edited:

acroporabali

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
http://oceangardener.org/ does a great job at restoring reef in Indonesia.They are from the Aquarium industry and mainly use their knowledge in mariculture, together with a broad diversity of techniques depending on species and habitat. They also do a tremendous work in educating the diving community but also local communities about corals.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back