What are your favorite reefing YouTube channels?

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s a lot of good reefing content out there. What are your favorite reefing YouTube channels?

My favorite is FishOfHex. Honest, open, methodical. Awesome display.

The other two that I like the most are the BRS channel of course, and AmericanReefChannel. On AmericanReef I love hearing Mike and Sanjay share their mistakes and aquarium issues because it’s a great reminder that even awesome tanks are imperfect.

What are your favorites?
The Skimmate, someone gave a review and said of them, "what panache." Must be good, if they have panache. The Skimmate for me.

And don't forget, take it from me, I'm a doctor. ........

Zeus440

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS
Reef Builders
Reef Dudes
Fish of Hex
Melevs Reef
I watch these most and few others but not as much as these

OP
OP
Tft12

Tft12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whose been watching the reef beef podcast. Its got Richard Ross ( the marine biologist and macna speaker). Really enjoy their episodes.

Thanks a lot for mentioning this one. I didn’t know about it. I really like Rick’s MACNA talks so I’ll definitely want to follow this channel.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah i watch it as soon as it pops up, great pod

their most recent one featured guest speaker r2r mod and wrasse expert @evolved !
Yeah its a great episode, @evolved was an amazing guest, one of my favorite episodes so far.
The hosts Rich and Ben are incredibly knowledgeable and veterans of reefkeeping, wealths of information and wisdom.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will have to try some of these I had not seen before.

Current Subscriptions
BRS (but have to remember these are marketing videos)
Tidal Gardens (can not watch when tired Than's voice is so calming)
MelevsReef
Inappropriate Reefer
FishofHex
ParkersReef
ReefDudes

Used to watch a few others but they just turned into infomercials for what ever equipment they got free.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS, Inappropriate Reefer, Tidal Gardens, Prestige Reef, Reef Beef, Reed Builders

There are three kinds of videos/channels that I like. The first is the more informational science, husbandry, and equipment/tech based channels (like BRS, Tidal Gardens, etc). The second is sort vlog type videos/channels that are more about following someone’s personal experience in the hobby/industry (like Inappropriate Reefer, or Prestige Reef). And lastly are channels that debate or talk about the ethical and sociological parts of the hobby and community, or issues (shows like Reef Beef).

What I don’t like are overly sensationalized or really youtube-y channels. There are several channels where the emphasis seems to be more on YouTube clout or doing over-the-top nonsense that puts the animals in these videos at risk. Without naming names (some people have already mentioned them in this thread), I’ve seen videos where people fill up their swimming pools with saltwater and then thousands and thousands of dollars worth of fish just to swim around in and make a youtube video, or another where they put a kiddie pool on the beach and filled it with fish and inverts and the sat around it with their feet in it. Just careless nonsense where the spectacle of whatever they are doing is prioritized over the health and well-being of the animals in these videos. I’m not completely against using fish and corals in somewhat sensationalist ways for events or for videos from an ethical standpoint, but the health and well-being of the animals has to be top priority.

As a kind of related side note, my GF was watching America’s Next Top Model the other day, and they were doing photo shoots with tarantulas. And in the background of one of the talking head shots, you could hear the producer, talking about the spiders, say ‘we’ve only had one casualty, so I think we’re doing pretty good’. They were perching them on these models five or six feet above the ground, so it’s surprising they only killed one, since a fall from that height would kill most tarantulas. Anyway, it’s that kind of attitude, that the animals in these videos/shows are just props or just exist for humans to use, is disgusting.

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like people that talk about their daily tank struggles, their thought processes and problem solving. Including people that use and review product I own.

OP
OP
Tft12

Tft12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like ReefBum's Rappin' With ReefBum series. Great guests.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 71 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back