What are your years of experience??

How many years you been in the hobby?

• Total voters

LatinoHeat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious to the variety of years of reefers that we have here. To all the vets please add some sound advice & to all our newer reefers please add a question.

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been in it for almost 10 years. I’m 24 now and spent 5 years working at a pretty well known shop up until about 4 years ago. My best piece of advice is not to chase numbers. Stability goes a long way. My second best prices of advice is to do as much research as you possibly can before making adding livestock/purchasing equipment/trying new things

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not voting because any answer is wrong.
I have been at it for over 15 years. But never had good information. My tanks were a constant trial and error operation that always ended poorly. That’s changed and there is now an abundance of not just information, but an abundance of people willing to share it. It’s been one of the best changes to the hobby. The experts on here don’t have to do it. But they do and it has reinvigorated my stance on this hobby.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
23 years here, but not always with a reef, but always a salt tank. Only in the last 10 years I have I been full blown reef.

Best advice...

Stability is key, don't chase numbers, and feed your reef! I'm a firm believer in heavy in, and heavy out. Everything in there needs to bed fed, stop spot feeding your corals and feed your reef.

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
23 years here, but not always with a reef, but always a salt tank. Only in the last 10 years I have I been full blown reef.

Best advice...

Stability is key, don't chase numbers, and feed your reef! I'm a firm believer in heavy in, and heavy out. Everything in there needs to bed fed, stop spot feeding your corals and feed your reef.
Agree, feed your fish. I have 15 in my 120, and they will feed the corals.
I feed 8-10 cubes a day for heavy in/out.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol absolutely! Someone told me a few years ago that we’re not livestock keepers….we’re water keepers

I read this years ago from someone on RC, once I took this approach to reefing, things got much easier, and my reef took off.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im baby at 6 months and like most things in life,try your best to learn from others mistakes.
A clever man learns from his own mistakes.
But a wise man learns from others mistakes my dad taught me when little.

But unfortunately some things we dont believe enough so have to keep making same miatakes till we do believe ^_^

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Back