What are your years of experience??

How many years you been in the hobby?

• Total voters

littlebeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 15 years for me. I wouldn't consider myself advanced... I've probably run into more problems than someone whose only had their tank up a few years though Lol. So that's just experience ... not skill. I've also gotten slightly better at seeing the reefers who really know their stuff.

Regardless , I'm Still having a blast and one day I will get a few of those danged sticks to grow in my tank.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1st marine tank, 1984, I think... Bought my first coral probably 1993.

Longevity ≠ expertise

Greybeard's rules of reefing:

1) Good things don't happen fast. Slow Down.
2) Keep your filthy mitts outta the dag blasted tank!
3) Water Changes.

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If memory serves, I've been in the hobby around 33 years. Listen and learn from others; share your own experiences. It's been amazing to see what has come about in the hobby over the last decade. In the beginning (for me), Martin Moe's first two books (The Marine Aquarium Handbook and more importantly, The Marine Aquarium Reference) were both full of crucial information. I wore the Reference book out and bought the next edition. lol Other books and articles from Calfo and Sprung were essential as well. Online forums have advanced the hobby for me to a whole new level. The ease at which we can search and share information, ask questions and get opinions from those who have been there before is just amazing. Thanks Reef2Reef, WetWebMedia, ReefCentral, BRS and others who facilitate greater knowledge.

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going on 50 years keeping inverts (and that was before the term "reefing" entered the aquarium keeping hobby).

My "sound advice" is: "There are Many Paths up the Mountain". There are many, many, many successful methodologies for keeping a reef tank. So (1), don't believe everything you read - there's a lot of reefing myth on the Internet, and (2), do your homework and seek the best path for your own skill level and finances!

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't consider myself an Advanced reefer with 20 years experience. I set the bar low and keep softies and LPS, most things a beginner should be able to do pretty easily with WC, good light, good rock, maybe some kalk dosing. Also don't overstock your tank with fish.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20+ years since starting my first tank .
I will say nothing is even close to what it was then .

knowledge , equipment , understanding or reefing in general ,

even with many years . I would not consider myself a pro or veteran .

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 50 56.2%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 26 29.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back