What Ate my Blue Leg Hermits?

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(Now simultaneously on the other side of the tank, this creature appears to be grabbing the blue legged snail’s astra snail from both sides.)
That seems pretty intense. How can it do it simultaneously on the other side of the tank?

KingLucy1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha, still try to understand what you got in your tank. Are you saying it using things in the aquarium to disguise itself and is super fast. Are there more than one of them?
So am I... there seemed to be individuals, especially at the beginning and were tiny, but when I finally killed it in both fresh water and salt water tank it looked like in bother there was a central crab with tentacles buried underground. In the freshwater tank this bristly looking creature was floating around and my freshwater Ramshorn snails snails were having the same symptoms as my cerinth snails and looked it was about to burst out of the Ramshorn. Interesting led, I kept a couple samples one of which maybe only had a couple specks of black thing that grew very quickly into a spikey moss looking thing that resembled the creature in the freshwater tank. Biomass had somehow doubled or tripled in 2 days in that test tube. Threw it all out now.

KingLucy1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(Now simultaneously on the other side of the tank, this creature appears to be grabbing the blue legged snail’s astra snail from both sides.)
That seems pretty intense. How can it do it simultaneously on the other side of the tank?
Because I believe there were multiple.

KingLucy1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because I believe there were multiple and not just one and rapidly reproducing.

KingLucy1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like a hermit crab without a shell... you sure the crab didn’t somehow get knocked out of its shell? They look weird when they don’t have a shell.
How could that be when the legs were around the shell and I’ve seen that shell knock over before and it is white? If he gotten knocked out of the shell why would hermits legs still be there?

Brady4000

I just wanted a Mantis Shrimp.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How could that be when the legs were around the shell and I’ve seen that shell knock over before and it is white? If he gotten knocked out of the shell why would hermits legs still be there?
Maybe you were looking at the hermits molt. Hermit crabs molt and there molts look like dead hermit crabs.

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a look at this thread to see what a molt looks like.

KingLucy1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most definetky not a molt. The picture on that thread still looked like then hermit crab. Look at my picture. That had no resemblance to a molt. Compare below. Looks at the difference.

362436B6-4C04-4D51-A48A-797380B0AB55.jpeg D3573878-8401-4225-8C18-F384D08B5A81.png

KingLucy1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So when you killed both tanks did you find them?
Do you happen to have a better photo?
Yes when I killed them this crab like thing with lots of tentacles floated up from the bottom of the saltwater tank and in the freshwater tank i found a long moss looking spiky brown creature. I didn’t get a direct sample because it smelled horrible and I didn’t want to reach in there, but I did take some little water residue that had some black detritus in it. In 2 days , the biomass in that test tube with the detritus had grown exponentially and it looked like spike black moss, which is the same material the freshwater thing looked like. I’m sorry I couldn’t get very good pics. I’ll post the unfiltered pic of the infected hermit crab.

Attachments

• FDAD2A79-0789-43F0-887F-3E9A682B0D70.png
    FDAD2A79-0789-43F0-887F-3E9A682B0D70.png
    872.5 KB · Views: 68

KingLucy1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, that’s not a very good picture. Not even sure what I am looking at.
Here’s the best pick From the freshwater tank. The snail was struggling like the saltwater one and it looked like something was about to pop out of the back of its shel. The giant black mass I think is the creature. TBH I don’t know what I’m looking at either. The same weird tentacle crab floated up from the substrate in the freshwater tank just like in the freshwater.

Attachments

• 019AFEE0-0DE0-4EDB-99DE-BFDBDAC0D294.png
    019AFEE0-0DE0-4EDB-99DE-BFDBDAC0D294.png
    883.7 KB · Views: 81
  • E5A1B6E9-CF2A-4AEB-B780-9159D95DB9F0.jpeg
    E5A1B6E9-CF2A-4AEB-B780-9159D95DB9F0.jpeg
    95.6 KB · Views: 62
  • E2165CA8-1EBD-4228-AB19-8ECC3DAA6E01.png
    E2165CA8-1EBD-4228-AB19-8ECC3DAA6E01.png
    831.3 KB · Views: 57

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two Clown Fish, Neon Dotty Back, Flameback Angel, and Four Green Chromis. Also an Emerald Crab, Three Nassarius Snails, Cleaner Shrimp, and Six Bubble-tip Anemones. Noticed all six of my Hermits are gone. Iodine level is fine.
My experience has usually been a red leg hermit crab or a larger blue leg hermit crab when their are no other candidates in the tank . Before I went crabless I’ve lost a lot of blue crabs to the larger red hermit crabs

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience has usually been a red leg hermit crab or a larger blue leg hermit crab when their are no other candidates in the tank . Before I went crabless I’ve lost a lot of blue crabs to the larger red hermit crabs
Funny I had the opposite, all my blues were ganging up on my larger reds and taking them out like gangland lol hah. Yea I went crabless too.

Zer0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes when I killed them this crab like thing with lots of tentacles floated up from the bottom of the saltwater tank and in the freshwater tank i found a long moss looking spiky brown creature. I didn’t get a direct sample because it smelled horrible and I didn’t want to reach in there, but I did take some little water residue that had some black detritus in it. In 2 days , the biomass in that test tube with the detritus had grown exponentially and it looked like spike black moss, which is the same material the freshwater thing looked like. I’m sorry I couldn’t get very good pics. I’ll post the unfiltered pic of the infected hermit crab.

Just a guess, but what you’re describing could have been some kind of predatory isopod. They look weird and some of them have very bizarre ambush methods.

I have no idea what that thing is in your freshwater photos are though.

KingLucy1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a guess, but what you’re describing could have been some kind of predatory isopod. They look weird and some of them have very bizarre ambush methods.

I don't either. I was thinking it could be an isopod too. I am going to only buy in person for now on and be much more careful with quarantine.

KingLucy1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 44 57.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.9%
Back