What backup battery works best to connect surge protector that has 5 connected devices?

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for a backup battery that I can plug my surge protector into. I currently have my aquarium stock biocube lights, 300w heater, 2 x nero 3 powerheads and the stock biocube pump plugged into my surge protector. Not sure what's common as far as backup systems are concerned in the hobby, but I was hoping to plug the surge into a backup. Additionally, I'm not quite sure what I should be expecting as far as how long a typical backup battery holds charge for during a power outage. What are the common brands/models used that support several devices? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure about anyone else but I'm using my wife's old computer battery backup. It's big and I only have my main return pump on. In an outage flow is most important and they can all chill till powers back on. So far I've gotten 10 hrs out of it. Not sure how long it will actually go.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure about anyone else but I'm using my wife's old computer battery backup. It's big and I only have my main return pump on. In an outage flow is most important and they can all chill till powers back on. So far I've gotten 10 hrs out of it. Not sure how long it will actually go.
What model is it?

Upvote 0

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are looking for a UPS. Here are some. Some of the sites have calculators so you can figure out how long they will last with your power draw requirement
APC
Cyberpower
Tripp Lite

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are looking for a UPS. Here are some. Some of the sites have calculators so you can figure out how long they will last with your power draw requirement
APC
Cyberpower
Tripp Lite
What do you use?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A portable generator for my tank. 600 gallon tank has 4ea 20 amp circuits. A UPS would not work
APC's for my computer servers
For some reason I can’t fathom in my head what that looks like inside of a home.

Upvote 0

coralfishreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the last power outage, the 2 Nero 5s connected to UPS were still running after 5 hours with battery leftover. The LCD screen shows an estimated run time of 800 minutes with the current load.

CyberPower 1500VA / 900Watts

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the last power outage, the 2 Nero 5s connected to UPS were still running after 5 hours with battery leftover. The LCD screen shows an estimated run time of 800 minutes with the current load.

CyberPower 1500VA / 900Watts
Nice!!! I’ll check it out.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind having your UPS after your GFIC is not a great idea as after your GFIC is tripped...the ups will keep supplying power just like it would if you had a power outage.
Excuse my ignorance in this area. Not really sure what you mean. Are you saying I shouldn’t plug my surge protector into the ups; I should instead plug everything (all devices) directly into the ups?

Upvote 0

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 113 57.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 57 29.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 70 35.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 33 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 58 29.7%
Back