What bacteria in a bottle to kickstart NoPoX?

Muffin87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are some good bacteria in a bottle products to get NoPoX going and doing its thing?

I've had mixed results with other commercial carbon sources so far, so I'd like to start using NOPOX since its known to just work in the vast majority of cases.
My tank uses dry rock and only has fish at the moment, so I'm not 100% sure I have the bacteria I need to get carbon dosing to do the nutrient reduction.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are some good bacteria in a bottle products to get NoPoX going and doing its thing?

I've had mixed results with other commercial carbon sources so far, so I'd like to start using NOPOX since its known to just work in the vast majority of cases.
My tank uses dry rock and only has fish at the moment, so I'm not 100% sure I have the bacteria I need to get carbon dosing to do the nutrient reduction.
With no coral to worry about, why not just reduce nutrients with water changes?

How old is your tank?

NoPOx is just essential vinegar and vodka...

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because I'm "prepping" my tank for coral. Wanna make sure carbon dosing is gonna kick-in when I need it to before I run into problems.
You're trying to solve problems you don't even have... Bad idea imo.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you aiming to carbon dose to control NO3 / PO4?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the bacterial products is just nitrifying bacteria. The bacteria that NOPOX feeds come naturally. They will expand their populations to your tank to consume the carbon dose.

Disclaimer: I am not advocating nor discouraging carbon dosing. I am only here to disprove the need for bacterial products for this purpose.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you have a running reef tank, you have a million times over the required bacteria to bloom when you increase carbon in the water column, no added dosing required. the retail trap/peace of mind sales trick is open wide and accepting entrants by the second.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS selling/recommending to buy MB7 when buying biobricks is classic

ly offensive to me and all I stand for as a web forum nerd.

I tried to hammer their recommendation in youtube responses to their videos but of course I was buried instantly by the number of happy buyers reporting that it worked great. they paid for a boost, of course they got that boost.

If I had a pet store my bottles of bac section would be sitting there collecting dust pretty much. My cured live rock vat of skip cycle reef rock: couldn't be kept stocked due to demand by the hour I'd generate.

caller89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just be careful doing it this way , I did the same thing and landed up with the biggest bacteria bloom iv ever seen .

See my experience on link below.

Answer to your question , I have found microbacta7 to be good bacteria to get things moving.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No reason not to try/ learn about a tool you might need later. Run the experiment now if youd like.

ナイトコア猫

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I recommend looking at KZ ZEOvit system for starting, with one difference: as you have animals already, you will not wish to start with a large dose, else this may produce too much CO2 and asphyxiate the animals. I recommend to look at post #7:

I recommend starting dosing ASAP, as there is a ramp up period.

You are not required to dose bacteria for NO3PO4x to work. However, I recommend dosing daily (adjusting the amount dosed commensurate to nitrate and phosphate load). While bacteria isn't needed to be dosed to aquarium, you will require both nitrate and phosphate for NO3PO4x to work.

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used MB7 and nopox in the past with less than desirable results. Huge increase in nitrate numbers (which I assume was nitrite interference), dinos killing everything but a few zoa's and fish. I also was running export bricks and a refugium. I built a Donovan's nitrate destroyer, which I dose 25 ml of homemade nopox to spread out over 12 times per day and now my sand is completely clean, no dinos,cyano or slime. My nitrates went from over 100 per salifert (after one month of testing the effluent til it got down to 4 nitrates per Hanna) 49 and three days later 32 in the display. I didn't dose any bacteria but I did use AF biofil in the destroyer. In my experience the 10% per day turnover was way too slow so I increased it every day til I no longer could smell anything resembling sulfur. On my tank I should be running at 16 ml per minute but I'm running 30-35 per minute and that seems to work for me. However my alk shot up to 12 which I'm attributing to the nitrate reduction. My skimmer is pulling a ton of bacteria but my tank water so far has remained clear with little need to clean the glass. Oddly enough my chaeto and caulerpa have both started growing again.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back