What bacteria to use?

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just filled my tank last week, and i want to cycle it. What bacteria do i use? And is the api test kit good enough to test for the cycle? Thank you.

fishski13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Fritz Zyme 9 when I cycled my first tank, it did the job. But it would be better to use live rock or some kind of seeding from another tank if possible. It will get the job done faster and in a better way. Plus the bottled bacteria has the problem of not knowing how long it has been on the shelf and if it is still good to use.

The api test kits are completely fine for testing ammonia, nitrite, pH during the cycle as they are cheap and this stuff isnt something you need to test at all after it is finished. I would say look into a different nitrate tester to see your nitrates towards the end of the cycle.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Fritz Zyme 9 when I cycled my first tank, it did the job. But it would be better to use live rock or some kind of seeding from another tank if possible. It will get the job done faster and in a better way. Plus the bottled bacteria has the problem of not knowing how long it has been on the shelf and if it is still good to use.

The api test kits are completely fine for testing ammonia, nitrite, pH during the cycle as they are cheap and this stuff isnt something you need to test at all after it is finished. I would say look into a different nitrate tester to see your nitrates towards the end of the cycle.
I like Fritz as well but prefer the refrigerated Turbo Start 900 formula.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Micro Bacter XLM one of the best out there right now and API is notorious for false readings hence the low Price for a master kit. Ammonia badges and test strips just as bad
Most reliable is Salifert and Hanna brand kits.

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Micro Bacter XLM one of the best out there right now and API is notorious for false readings hence the low Price for a master kit. Ammonia badges and test strips just as bad
Most reliable is Salifert and Hanna brand kits.
Alright, can u like link me the stuff i need for the salifert? I didnt get the api yet. I have hanna for other stuff need something for the cycle.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.4%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 74 43.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back