What benefits corals more broadcast feeding or direct feeding

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I know the answer that direct benfits coals more but wouldn't a tank with no sump benefit from broadcast feeding more because there is nowhere for the food to go but float around and hit every coral? I am asking this because I am currently feeding coral frenzy and I have been target feeding and it seems to take lots of time and very hard to make sure the coral polyps do not close. I was just wondering your thoughts and also your thoughts on the best way to feed coral frenzy. Love this food though.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well . . . the food _might_ float around until it hits a coral, or it might float around until it settles into a crevice in the liverock, and is consumed by a pregnant bristle worm . . .

~Bruce, who broadcasts anyway

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some corals like brain corals need a meaty target feed. Then there is corals like zoanthids that close up and go into protection mode when target feeding. You can figure it out with a turkey baster. If you blow on the coral and it closes up or does not like it. Broadcasting is your best option. Just don't do it more than 3 x a week. Try to keep it at 2 x a week if broadcasting so you do not run into excessive nutrients. Think about it like this. No one is swimming in the oceans/seas target feeding. They receive everything in a broadcasting manor. Those are the tips I got and have great results with broadcasting Reefroids. Then there will be veterans of the hobby that will say,"feeding corals?? That's what the lights are for." And they are right. Just when you are in the same boat as I am and would like some extra growth to fill out the tank. You do you and give that extra love haha

Heather w

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some corals like brain corals need a meaty target feed. Then there is corals like zoanthids that close up and go into protection mode when target feeding. You can figure it out with a turkey baster. If you blow on the coral and it closes up or does not like it. Broadcasting is your best option. Just don't do it more than 3 x a week. Try to keep it at 2 x a week if broadcasting so you do not run into excessive nutrients. Think about it like this. No one is swimming in the oceans/seas target feeding. They receive everything in a broadcasting manor. Those are the tips I got and have great results with broadcasting Reefroids. Then there will be veterans of the hobby that will say,"feeding corals?? That's what the lights are for." And they are right. Just when you are in the same boat as I am and would like some extra growth to fill out the tank. You do you and give that extra love haha
I target feed mine everyday. For those that close up I just don't touch them. My tank is healthy and my numbers are all in normal range
20170311_114119.jpg

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I target feed mine everyday. For those that close up I just don't touch them. My tank is healthy and my numbers are all in normal range
20170311_114119.jpg
I broadcast 3x a week and everything is perfect except phosphates. With a new clam the lights need to be on a little bit heavier and hopefully the clam can make a small dent in it. Fingers crossed!
What it really comes down to is how "good" you are about water changes or what you have assisting during your water change times. I don't have a sump or refugium like Dilan. Just trying to give him some good practical advice so he doesn't run into a green hair algae problem like I am right now. I have a beautiful tank and inhabitants underneath the eyesore of GHA hahaha.
I am getting 5-6 polyps a month now on my slow growing Rastas. Had 8 in December. Now 30 as of yesterday.
April 12 pic
IMG_20170412_125358.jpg

Heather w

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I broadcast 3x a week and everything is perfect except phosphates. With a new clam the lights need to be on a little bit heavier and hopefully the clam can make a small dent in it. Fingers crossed!
What it really comes down to is how "good" you are about water changes or what you have assisting during your water change times. I don't have a sump or refugium like Dilan. Just trying to give him some good practical advice so he doesn't run into a green hair algae problem like I am right now. I have a beautiful tank and inhabitants underneath the eyesore of GHA hahaha.
I am getting 5-6 polyps a month now on my slow growing Rastas. Had 8 in December. Now 30 as of yesterday.
April 12 pic
IMG_20170412_125358.jpg

20170323_162311.jpg

sebastiaan1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I target feed my bigger LPS like Euphyllia's, Blasto's and Lobophyllia.
Broadcast feeding for SPS and zoa's.

Works well... (Or at least it did till I forgot to check Nitrates and am going through a bit of a crash at the moment) So please be careful with feeding and monitor Nitrates and Phosphates.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you target feed each coral?

Sometimes ...

It's been a while, but there aren't too many corals I haven't target-fed on occasion. All the LPS appreciate it, and I've seen zoanthids take down some pretty hefty food items too - but they can get along without, as well.

I don't rinse my fish's food, and some of it has some pretty tiny particles, so the tank gets broadcast fed with frozen twice a day, and sometimes with freeze-dried Cyclopeez and flakes at midday as well.

~Bruce

bobman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I target feed my gorgonians and the left overs tend to broadcast feed the rest as soon as I cut my power heads back on.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks to all. So basically it depends on what coral but if you want to cover the broad section broadcast feed. Then target feed some that could use some extra love.

If you have fish and you feed them well, you can consider your corals fed IMO.

I do broadcast feed, but in my case I have just a few tiny fish in a tank literally PACKED with corals.

Under "normal conditions" (i.e. a new tank) coral-feeding is just wasteful, no matter how you look at it.

It's either wasteful of your time and effort, if you choose to target feed. Or it's wasteful of food since you only have a few dozen mouths in the tank to eat it, should you choose to broadcast feed.

Again, it's a much better gambit to feed your fish and let the rest work itself out, IMO.

(Which begs the question: What, and how often, do you feed your fish?)

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back