What buckets for water storage?

Sarah1990

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just planning how I'm going to fill my 300l system in a few weeks. I have an RO/DI unit and I plan to get food grade plastic buckets to put the RO water in to mix up for the tank but I'm going to need so many.
What size buckets do you think I'd be able to lift myself to get them to the tank? I'm thinking 10l buckets, but could I just fill it a bit at a time or does it need to be filled in one go?

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if nothing is in the tank but dry rock and sand why dont you run the rodi line to your tank and fill it in there then add salt thats what i did

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest you either look for something on wheels (dolly under container is most common solution), or place it somewhere close enough the water can be pumped to the location you want it.

+1 Above. Brute container, as large as you can store, with the (separately sold) dolly wheel tray

OP
OP
S

Sarah1990

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if nothing is in the tank but dry rock and sand why dont you run the rodi line to your tank and fill it in there then add salt thats what i did
I'm planning on getting live rock from an lfs as I've no idea where to start with curing it myself

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning on getting live rock from an lfs as I've no idea where to start with curing it myself

If you get 2 large water containers with the long term plan of using 1 for salt water and one for fresh water you can use one to cure the rock, then use the other to make water to fill the tank.

Mayerlyn A

Entre_Jardines
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something like this is super easy , especially when on wheels.

IMG_20190122_160752_459.jpg

Derek siskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a brute 45 trash can and just use 5 gallon buckets to do my salt water mix and water changes with since I only have a 75 gallon tank. I only needed a lot of water on my first initial fill and our closest local fish store has buckets they can fill there with a deposit on the buckets and then return for store credit. Once I get up to a 150 tank then I will end up upgrading to another brute as a mixing station.

OP
OP
S

Sarah1990

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 Above. Brute container, as large as you can store, with the (separately sold) dolly wheel tray
Do you know if this plastic would be ok or if it could leech nasty chemicals into the water? I dont see that it says what plastic it is
Sorry I cant get links to work for some reason

Screenshot_20190821-144059_Samsung Internet.jpg

OP
OP
S

Sarah1990

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd have to do it in 2 goes but I could wheel it with a dolly to the tank and then it would be more than big enough for water changes

TracyLynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R & this incredible hobby. YouTube is helpful, BRS Curing & Cycling live rock is helpful, I’ve found a couple of video providers I like to use for “how to” I’m very visual learner. The people here are incredible at answering & sharing their experiences.
We cured our dry live rock in 5 gallon buckets from home building supply stores. It can be a stinky process, curing the rock.
Also use those same buckets to mix salt for water changes now.
Best advice I received when first setting up our tank - PATIENCE don’t rush or short cut processes.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know if this plastic would be ok or if it could leech nasty chemicals into the water? I dont see that it says what plastic it is

Screenshot_20190821-144059_Samsung Internet.jpg

Yes, Rubbermaid Brute is safe and suitable. I see that you can also buy the dolly for the square container.

Blutspitze

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The brute cans are definitely a win for the initial fill up and curing of the live rock. You certainly won't be able to lift things up to the tank, but can use a pump from the can to the tank. The wheel dollies are also the way to do; getting cans that have wheels won't work when they're full of water, but sitting on the wheel'd platform they'll be fine and roll nicely when/if needed.

OP
OP
S

Sarah1990

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for your replies.
I've ordered the 150l brute and a wheeled platform.
More expensive than I was hope but it will save my back

LesPoissons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a 55g Brute food grade for water changes (my tank is 220g so my water changes are around 50g) I store ato water in a 30g RV water reservoir I found on Amazon.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certified to NSF Std. #2 (Red, Gray, and White) and Std. #21 (Gray and White)

OP
OP
S

Sarah1990

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually got my RO/DI set up yesterday and got a 0 TDS reading YAY ;Happy
Very exciting, although I was devastated at just how much water is wasted as we are on a water meter :eek:
Ready to get it filled when I'm back from holiday

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 72 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 70 50.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 35 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back