What burns your gills? Reef peeves?

Wee Mad Arthur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mrs asking me what each coral is in turn every few days because she’s forgotten again.
Choosing fish for a nano. Everyone seems to have multiple fish but when I research I come back with the answer that nothing is suitable for a 24G...?
Being told that there’s no point having a tank without fish.
Being told not to use a canister filter or that they’re too difficult to clean. Have you ever used one yourself?
Seeing people being told to use peppermint shrimp for Aiptasia control and everyone ignoring those who had them eat critters / coral.
People fearing bristleworms will destroy their tank, have an affair with their wife, steal their valuables and then burn their house down.
Seeing it said that 0 TDS RO water isn’t possible without spending your life savings.

OP
OP
oceans garden aquaculture

Oceans garden aquaculture
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mrs asking me what each coral is in turn every few days because she’s forgotten again.
Choosing fish for a nano. Everyone seems to have multiple fish but when I research I come back with the answer that nothing is suitable for a 24G...?
Being told not to use a canister filter or that they’re too difficult to clean. Have you ever used one yourself?
Seeing people being told to use peppermint shrimp for Aiptasia control and everyone ignoring those who had them eat critters / coral.
People fearing bristleworms will destroy their tank, have an affair with their wife, steal their valuables and then burn their house down.
Seeing it said that 0 TDS RO water isn’t possible without spending your life savings.
Whoa.. There is so much content in this post lol. Ty. Many things to address.

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That reminds me of my other favorite pet peeve: bristleworms.

Nothing else in my tank stings me, without fail, every time I touch it, leaving nasty welts that itch like crazy for about 3 days.

Havent had the other issues you described with bristleworms... at least not yet. I wouldnt put it past them.

Starkrost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People who beat up on new reefers for asking questions that they could have just googled, why do we have a forum if questions are frowned upon?
Sometimes Google gives a TON of information and much of it is conflicting. Plus, there's no way to verify if the information is true. I really prefer to ask in the forums from people I trust and know have experience unless I can get at least 3 articles from non-retail sites to confirm the same information.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Lately:

Simple questions Posted as EMERGENCY

People asking for help and sending pics that are fuzzy or drowned in Blue lighting

Many insultive people on forums which are growing lately

Starkrost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pet peeve is when people are mean to each other in a post. We use so much non-verbal communication when we talk face-to-face that we probably don't even think about it (e.g., gestures, stance, facial expressions). But in written posts, everything has to come across with words only and not everyone can write clearly or expressively. What the poster wrote might sound totally different in his/her head than what the reader hears.

Steph72

Tang Mom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People who beat up on new reefers for asking questions that they could have just googled, why do we have a forum if questions are frowned upon?

Amen!!!!! Besides, relying on Google can be problematic. There’s a lot of bad advice on the internet. Nothing beats a real conversation with a real person. Just my two cents.:D

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Amen!!!!! Besides, relying on Google can be problematic. There’s a lot of bad advice on the internet. Nothing beats a real conversation with a real person. Just my two cents.:D
Many are trying to help. the info may not be accurate or correct, but that individual is taking their personal time to help with good intentions. . . Not to be insulted or called out as stupid. This is what makes a community. . . . People trying to help !!

Steph72

Tang Mom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many are trying to help. the info may not be accurate or correct, but that individual is taking their personal time to help with good intentions. . . Not to be insulted or called out as stupid. This is what makes a community. . . . People trying to help !!
I totally agree with you. I’m new to the hobby and am so glad forums like this one exist. I meant that relying on google as a reference guide is a slippery slope. It helps to be able to ask questions and get perspectives from people who have been in the hobby for a long time.

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate it when people claim that I’m ‘killing my corals’ or that I’m caring for them improperly. Just because I do something a different way does not mean that I’m doing it wrong. For example, I prefer to feed my scoly during the day time by placing food gently on top of the mouth and turning off the pumps. The scoly opens on its own, extends feeding tentacles, and eats the food. I routinely get people telling me that doing this will kill my scoly, however I have seen nothing but improvement since I started doing this. Feeding at night is too much effort and doing it like this means that I’m able to feed my scoly more often, which is good for it. Or how feeding my anemone daily is bad for it. I don’t see how it could possibly hurt it and I feed appropriately sized pieces. It has quadrupled in size and now only splits into thirds, which is incredible to me. The bubbling is crazy and the colors are insane as well. All of those things are telling me that I’m doing a good job, so I don’t understand why people have to insist that I’m wrong and killing my pets which I love and treat like my children.

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Telling people you’re getting into reef keeping or you keep saltwater fish and getting the look like your head is on fire and then being told “oh, that’s so much work, you’re crazy for wasting money on that”
People drink and smoke more money away. Thats what my mother told me.

OP
OP

Oceans garden aquaculture
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes Google gives a TON of information and much of it is conflicting. Plus, there's no way to verify if the information is true. I really prefer to ask in the forums from people I trust and know have experience unless I can get at least 3 articles from non-retail sites to confirm the same information.
Experience is definitely the authority. I've talked tanks with marine biologists that were so full of skimate their eyes were green. Anyone who claims to know everything about reefing is a fool.

Wee Mad Arthur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LED light settings with no concrete tried and tested pre selectable profiles. I‘ve got an AI Prime 16HD with sliders galore and it even replicates the phases of the moon but apparently it’s too much trouble to include some proven profiles to choose from. Instead we get a very limited choice on their website, limited as most are for different types of light or some we can download that some random person made and uploaded to Facebook. It’s taken me many months of tinkering just to come up with my own profile that my soft corals are happy with and that is also pleasing to the eye but long term I don’t know if it’s the best one!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Realizing today as its' been for a long time. . . . Those that post a concern as an emergency and ask what is this thing in the picture.
The Picture:

1596591424853.png

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey wait a minute dudes I'm a mother in law - a pretty cool mother in law ;Shifty...at least I think I am ;Smuggrin ...no, wait, I definitely am ;Hilarious
Keep being the cool MIL, we don’t all have a cool one!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 43 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back