What can i do about my algea problem?

eitallent

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, reef chaser. I see you have good advice already. Here is my two cents. :)

Like you, I too ran the lights enough to allow too much algae to grow when I first started my tank six months ago. The problem being if it gets too overgrown it is difficult to get rid of later. I reduced my lighting to 4 hours a day until I got the algae under control. When my cycle was through and my tests showed that nitrites, nitrates and phosphates were not detectable I then ordered a clean up crew from reefcleaners.org as fragmatic posted. Be careful with that order because John is VERY generous (a good thing) so do not order more than what is recommended for your tank size. You will get your algae problem resolved in no time. I also got macro algae (chaeto, shaving brush, etc.) to use up some of the nitrates and phosphates. I also recommend a small Emerald crab because I have seen mine eat bubble algae and bryopsis on frags I bring home from the LFS. He is at work all the time mowing the lawn and never touches the flower beds. :)

Good luck!

fragmatic

retired reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely, I strongly recommend your next step is to get RODI water. Buy it or make it with your own RODI install, but use RODI !!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can not state this strongly enough. This will solve the many problems.

moreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know they are controversial but a uv sterilizer might also be a good addition if you are only fowlr.

OP
OP
reefchaser

reefchaser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting ready start my sump system tomorrow. I have been using two hob penguin 350 marinelands. My sump has a skimmer and sock filter so I'm hoping that it will do better than my hob.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Reef2Reef Aquarium Forum mobile app

dcfluegel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fairly new to the hobby also - we went through a brown algae poo-storm couple of months back - clean up crew seemed to make biggest difference for us (snails mostly - nerites, some ceriths (dwarf and florida), some trochus, some astrea... also emerald mithrax crabs seem to LOVE eating algae off of ANYTHING)... we have used RODI from the start (installed our own RODI system last month from BulkReefSupply - DEFINITELY recommend)...

OP
OP
reefchaser

reefchaser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do u guys know where i can get a ro/di system for a good price

dcfluegel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bulk reef supply - installed the 5 stage plus system under our sink a month ago and very happy with it

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
reefchaser

reefchaser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long do i have to wait before the glue on my sump pipes will be good enough to run on my tank with out contamination?

fragmatic

retired reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long do i have to wait before the glue on my sump pipes will be good enough to run on my tank with out contamination?

Many will tell you to wait some length of time, I have never waited. I have never seen any reaction in my tank what so ever. ....shrugg.. ....is all I have to offer.

Except... I'm one of those guys that makes changes to my plumbing at the drop of a hat. So when I say I don't wait, it refers to several times.

Last edited:

fragmatic

retired reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting ready start my sump system tomorrow. I have been using two hob penguin 350 marinelands. My sump has a skimmer and sock filter so I'm hoping that it will do better than my hob.

+1000 .. absolutely!!

OP
OP
reefchaser

reefchaser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do i need to put any foam or bio balls in my sump. I made my sump to be a refugium.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back