What can I do to promote beneficial bacteria?

OP
OP
CoralClasher

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have Dino? That wasn’t mentioned in the original post.

How are you combating it? Dino is no fun but you can beat it, just have to hit it from every angle.

Bacteria won’t help much with Dino. And yes, Dino will consume many particles before they break down into the nutrients required to eradicate Dino.

This is why most people rely on dosing phosphate and nitrate to beat it paired with other methods.
That bacteria method is the best thing I’ve tried!!

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched Dr. Tim the other day talking about the good bacteria getting covered in organic. Maybe I should try the refresh?

For the most part, the bacteria will consume the ammonia, phosphates and nitrites and some also handling the nitrate. Your skimmer is what will handle the gunk light enough to stay in the water column, high flow will ensure small particles don’t get trapped on substrate and rock for Dino to consume.

I wouldn’t be too worried about the Dino’s consuming particles, they’re going to do this the best they can in the tank. I’d focus more on releasing the particles with flow.

Best method I’ve found in beating Dino’s is to first elevate nutrient levels. Then hit them hard with blackout, hydrogen peroxide dosing, uv sterilizer to get them while they remain in water column during blackout, and heavy turkey basting.

Once blackout is done, your nutrients are already elevated so that algae has free reign to grow and now doesn’t have much competition.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes but not a bloom anymore. If I put anything new in the tank Dino will cover it in two days.
image.jpg

Then you’re not keeping your nutrients elevated after beating it. Dino will go away once it has competition.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really think I’m on the right path. Things are looking way better than three months ago.

Your aim needs to be getting rid of it altogether and keeping it in a permanent resting state.

Dino gets triggered to bloom when there are shifts in nutrient levels and typically always when the shift is to nutrients bottoming out.

If you have already gotten rid of the visible Dino then maintaining appropriate nutrient levels (Above non-measurable levels, or slightly higher than that) will keep it resting as long as these levels remain relatively stable and don’t bottom out.

If it’s still popping up then it’s not in a resting state and needs to be addressed.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I’ve found leaving some algae in my tank keeps it gone for good after initial treatment. I keep some film algae on the back panel and other algae on the rocks to act as a line of defense to prevent it from popping up again.

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've listened to a lot of Cruz stuff. The dude definitely knows bacteria
[Q="Jon Malkerson, post: 6736979, member: 114759"]
I really think I’m on the right path. Things are looking way better than three months ago.
[/QUOTE]

OP
OP
CoralClasher

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah sorry I didn’t want to start another Dino thread I just want to know if there is anything else I can do for the bacteria besides nutrients and micro bubble scrubbing?

hyprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My vote would go for carbon dosing (I use ESV TE+ and swear by it), slowly adding more rock (dry rock is perfectly fine, I haven't even bothered curing mine and it's old virgin Fiji rock), and if you ever have a need for it, don't be afraid to use vibrant over the course of months ;)

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My vote would go for carbon dosing (I use ESV TE+ and swear by it), slowly adding more rock (dry rock is perfectly fine, I haven't even bothered curing mine and it's old virgin Fiji rock), and if you ever have a need for it, don't be afraid to use vibrant over the course of months ;)

Wouldn’t carbon dosing decrease nutrient levels?

OP
OP
CoralClasher

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I’ve found leaving some algae in my tank keeps it gone for good after initial treatment. I keep some film algae on the back panel and other algae on the rocks to act as a line of defense to prevent it from popping up again.
I didn’t clean anything after the treatment and let the glass grow lots of diatoms then got some green hair algae to grow. Soon as the fish and snails started to eat it I cleaned the front glass only.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Green hair algae is probably my main competition against bacteria because of nutrient consumption.

Vodka dosing definitely got my nitrogen too low before and now if I add vodka I also add nitrogen.

New brs video out on the subject talking about both approaches.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve recently started to believe that bacteria rules the world!! I want to know what I can do to promote the good bacteria in my tank and what I shouldn’t do.
According to research 'nothing'. The bacteria in your tank once all the 'niches' are filled - will fight to keep those. Now if you're talking about a new tank - thats a different story. Example - you take bottle X of bacteria - and add it to the water - The bacteria that are already in your tank are far more likely to just fight off the intruder.

What, by the way, do you mean by 'beneficial bacteria;?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bacterial diversity is an important component of a healthy tank no doubt. So many different bacterias that do different jobs.
I'm curious - based on 'what'? Part of my question relates to what is 'bacterial diversity?'. Part of it relates to the fact that nothing prevents 'bacterial diversity' - except competition from the surrounding bacteria.

FYi - i do not think its correct that bacteria diversity (i.e. the more species the better) is true

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to research 'nothing'. The bacteria in your tank once all the 'niches' are filled - will fight to keep those. Now if you're talking about a new tank - thats a different story. Example - you take bottle X of bacteria - and add it to the water - The bacteria that are already in your tank are far more likely to just fight off the intruder.

I’m sure he means nitrifying or anaerobic microbes.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious - based on 'what'? Part of my question relates to what is 'bacterial diversity?'. Part of it relates to the fact that nothing prevents 'bacterial diversity' - except competition from the surrounding bacteria.

FYi - i do not think its correct that bacteria diversity (i.e. the more species the better) is true

The one instance where I think it’s helpful is that the dominant bacteria species comes out on top faster if they are all present.

OP
OP
CoralClasher

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’m not sure what the name of the bacteria is but the one that lives on the surface of the rocks and sand is what I need.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 20.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back