What can I do to promote beneficial bacteria?

OP
OP
CoralClasher

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been watching the different algae stages in the refuge and I know that if the cuc won’t eat the algae there is something going on with the bacteria. When it’s time for the green algae to go the cuc goes to work but if the systems not ready to get rid of algae the cuc will not touch it.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t touched the sand in refuge and is looking good but the sand in DT is already full of junk and turning green. I’ve stirred the sand in DT daily since I put it in.

Keep the algae man! That algae will combat Dino’s! That’s the whole point of raising your nutrients.

OP
OP
CoralClasher

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My green hair algae was really short but dense I thought it was green Coraline algae but now it’s starting to grow out and die off.

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmmm.... What are 'beneficial bacteria'? The ones the keep your tank looking 'good'? I guess the question is beneficial to 'what'? This is such a broad question - its not answerable. But - I will say - with complete certainty - you can't create 'beneficial bacteria' - firstly - there is no definition, secondly - the bacteria that have 'taken over' your tank - are unlikely to relinquish their territory. Products claim to provide 'beneficial bacteria'. In reality - all bacteria is beneficial - in their own niche.
Looks beneficial to me bro

hyprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn’t carbon dosing decrease nutrient levels?
Yes but you can dose that back in (I've used LoudWolf products for nutrient dosing with nothing but success). I thought the main question was to get bacteria populations up. Should always be careful with carbon as it's usually fairly potent (TE+ is TWICE as potent as No3Po4-X) and test no3/po4 often (at least 2/3 times a week until you settle on a steady dose). Nutrients will drop further with Vibrant dosing but that shouldn't stop you from using it (same with carbon although my main purpose for carbon dosing personally is excess po4, I've dosed no3 for years now)

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes but you can dose that back in (I've used LoudWolf products for nutrient dosing with nothing but success). I thought the main question was to get bacteria populations up.

Op went on to mention he was battling Dino’s as well.

hyprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Op went on to mention he was battling Dino’s as well.
Ah apologies for my oversight. Dinos were only ever a problem for me when no3 bottomed out (this was about 7 months into dosing no3 and uptake had outpaced my dosing for long enough to zero out). Once I tested and started dosing more no3 to raise levels to detectable levels again they were absolutely GONE in less than a week.

OP
OP
CoralClasher

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a bunch of great info in this video to promote quicker populations of good bacteria

Yeah this was the video I mentioned earlier and the part when he talked about the bacteria getting covered with organic’s. Recently I ran three rounds of bacteria bloom and wondered if that is happening to me? He says to stop adding competitors and need to let the bacteria do its thing. Should I use Dr. Tim’s refresh to help with this or just wait it out?

DraggingTail

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like old school, I put 2 sponges in sump, squeeze in morning and other at night. Corals love it. Here my crab I think in deep thought on top of one. I don't talk the talk, I walk the talk.

20191121_182420.jpg
Tell me more about this

waxhawreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose prodibio, every week, every time I do a water change, people seem to forget that water contains allot of bacteria, most guys who add too many fish too soon , too many corals too soon too fast , can have loses, bacteria live in sand , rock, water, I feel it’s the most important factor that most guys overlook!!

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean the concept around it? I get the sponges hold bacteria. How do you ensure they are good? How long have you been at it? Why it works? Etc?

How do you ensure they are good?

The pictures of the corals I care for are some of the most sensitive to water perimeters, and husbandry techniques. Since using this simple source of food, to feed and acclimate new host. The benefits are like day and night. More successful in keeping them alive.

The corals thriving is best proof

How long have you been at it?
Last 30 days

Why it works?
Million Dollar question, end results do show it works.

I mean the concept around it?
More food for corals, may help less stress on corals, maybe?

Squeezing every 24hrs, prevents anaerobic conditions

Last edited:

DraggingTail

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The pictures of the corals I care for are some if the most sensitive to water perimeters, and husbandry techniques. Since using this simple source of food, to feed and acclimate new host. The benefits are like day and night. More successful in keeping them alive.

The corals thriving is best proof

How long have you been at it?
Last 30 days

Why it works?
Million Dollar question, end results do show it works.

I mean the concept around it?
More food for corals, may help less stress on corals, maybe?

Squeezing every 24hrs, prevents anaerobic conditions
What kind of sponge? Car wash sponge?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back