mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FD04A335-3502-4DAA-B7C2-1BD599478665.jpeg

FC88F9C6-5518-4415-8D4B-16512A11248D.jpeg

Unfortunately I didn’t take good pics of it after January and never took good pics of its growth

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys i was just wondering if it was possible to grow anything other than gsp on the backwall? can you basically put any coral on a plug and stick it back there as long as it meets its necessary requirements? any 2 cents helps. thanks!
I am growing Pulsating Xenia on a floating rock.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So four+ months ago I got piece, well three heads of Pulsating xenia, Accidently dropped in straight Hydrogen Peroxide. Stupid move on my part, I had a small cup of it on my table as I was cleaning equipment. Took the xenia out of the bag and it was so small it went through my fingers as I was handling it to gently.
Anyway rinsed it in the bowl of tank water and put it on my Tunze floating rock in the DT.
Thought it was a goner as it shriveled to almost nothing. So it stayed that way for three weeks and I was going to pull it out and discard it when I saw a bit of one head moving.
I was like no way. But here it is today. It is some 5-6 inches in diameter now and doing great. It will consume the entire rock shortly.
20200716_091638.jpg

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that it is also important to point out what the back glass is made out of. I think that it is easier to grow stuff on glass than acrylic. My AIO has an acrylic divider and it's impossible to glue stuff to (but GSP is growing), but I can glue stuff to glass in my other tank.

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So four+ months ago I got piece, well three heads of Pulsating xenia, Accidently dropped in straight Hydrogen Peroxide. Stupid move on my part, I had a small cup of it on my table as I was cleaning equipment. Took the xenia out of the bag and it was so small it went through my fingers as I was handling it to gently.
Anyway rinsed it in the bowl of tank water and put it on my Tunze floating rock in the DT.
Thought it was a goner as it shriveled to almost nothing. So it stayed that way for three weeks and I was going to pull it out and discard it when I saw a bit of one head moving.
I was like no way. But here it is today. It is some 5-6 inches in diameter now and doing great. It will consume the entire rock shortly.
20200716_091638.jpg
I’m sure it would look better and be easier to see if you turn off blue lights I’d love to see how it looks

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice! any pics?
I’d like to thank you for starting this thread, what an awesome idea it is to decorate back wall,, I’ve never thought of doing that and now my head is spinning with ideas.
My wife just sighed thinking about the money this new idea is going to cost. Lol
Again great thread

OP
OP
lazycouch

lazycouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that it is also important to point out what the back glass is made out of. I think that it is easier to grow stuff on glass than acrylic. My AIO has an acrylic divider and it's impossible to glue stuff to (but GSP is growing), but I can glue stuff to glass in my other tank.
i make sculptures with polymorph plastic and have recently been using it for planting plugs on my liverock, so much easier and cleaner than using glue i’m sure this is a better alternative when it comes to gluing on acrylic or glass in general as well because it plucks right off when you need it to!

OP
OP
lazycouch

lazycouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d like to thank you for starting this thread, what an awesome idea it is to decorate back wall,, I’ve never thought of doing that and now my head is spinning with ideas.
My wife just sighed thinking about the money this new idea is going to cost. Lol
Again great thread
glad the community enjoys this idea as much as i do!! hopefully your birthday is coming up soon... hahahaha!

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i make sculptures with polymorph plastic and have recently been using it for planting plugs on my liverock, so much easier and cleaner than using glue i’m sure this is a better alternative when it comes to gluing on acrylic or glass in general as well because it plucks right off when you need it to!
Can you explain the polymorph plastic lil more ,, what it is and where to get it

OP
OP
lazycouch

lazycouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you explain the polymorph plastic lil more ,, what it is and where to get it
i get it at a local art store by the bucket but i’m sure you can find it online somewhere. it’s basically what some sell as “reef putty” but in its pure form, you boil water drop some beads in and the result is something like melted plastic in which you can make blobs with to stick on live rock or form whatever you want really i’ve made actual plugs with it and then used the same plastic to stick those plugs on to the rocks+ it hardens quicker when in comes in contact with water so works out great when you need it to.

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never recommend a hard encrusting coral on glass. If it dies or you shut down, the area will forever have the skeleton attached. You can remove it with difficulty, but soft corals are definitely the way to go.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back