What canister filter is the best for a 29 gallon saltwater tank?

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also run a fluval fx4 on my 75 and clean it monthly. Works awesome. Anymore I only run one set of sponges and have the rest of the baskets filled with marinepure bio balls.
Great minds think alike. @NorCal Reefer what type of coral do you grow

Last edited:

GoatmealJones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually use a phosban reactor as a hang on canister filter. Its very space efficient, and changing media is as easy as dumping it out and rinsing the reactor in hot water to clean any detritus. I pack 1 layer of fine floss on the bottom and top to contain the fine media, and just compress whatever media I want to run between it in a sandwich. Its very simple, cheap, easy to clean, and saves space. You just want to make sure to get stronger pump than whats recommended for GFO only setup. I run a minijet 606 at full speed with carbon and purigen and it takes care are all my non skimmer filtration with little hassle. The whole setup cost around 70 dollars and it works great for me thus far.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually use a phosban reactor as a hang on canister filter. Its very space efficient, and changing media is as easy as dumping it out and rinsing the reactor in hot water to clean any detritus. I pack 1 layer of fine floss on the bottom and top to contain the fine media, and just compress whatever media I want to run between it in a sandwich. Its very simple, cheap, easy to clean, and saves space. You just want to make sure to get stronger pump than whats recommended for GFO only setup. I run a minijet 606 at full speed with carbon and purigen and it takes care are all my non skimmer filtration with little hassle. The whole setup cost around 70 dollars and it works great for me thus far.
Thats heck of an idea

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big of a tank

GoatmealJones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big of a tank

I use it on a 50 gallon mixed reef together with a Reef Octopus 90 Skimmer. Keeps the water clear, I use a generous portion of carbon and purigen. I just have to be careful to check on the output flow once in a while because the floss in the chamber becomes progressively clogged as it binds detritus. In that case, the water output slows down considerably. I should probably use a higher output powerhead and use the ball valve. I make sure to clamp every connection tightly because although the unit is a pressurized system, it is designed for low flow. I dont see why one couldnt run a maxijet 1200 if they wanted to. It would be overkill but could make for a nice closed loop add on for those looking to increase flow. Just make sure all connections are clamped appropriately and all O rings secured and it will do the job.

Mudder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tenor (2).gif

Welcome to R2R!!!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I would recommend an HOB ( hang on back unit over a canister. Much easier to service and more geared toward Marine application.
If you must use canister, Fluval with the built in UV sterilizer. Not easy to service any canister but they have gotten better

welcome-to-the-party-we-are-so-glad-you-could-join-us-18.jpg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Honestly - though you said you cant afford it - a sump doesn't have to be 'expensive'. You can have a hang on the back overflow and a 5 gallon glass tank as a sump - and a return. The question is - what do you Lose by using a canister - what do you gain with a sump? As others have said - most of the filtration/denitrification is done by the live rock and flow in the tank. With a sump you have space for a heater, space for a small skimmer, can always put in a filter sock.

My experience with canisters is positive (except.as others have said - maintenance) - and requiring replacement (often). If you take the cost of a sump (DIY) vs canisters, media, etc - I don't think they are that much different.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome Leon ! I went back & read the original thread more thoroughly . A canister would work I think but must be kept clean Also I'd put,say an aqua clear 70 would give you some extra filtration. Please let us know what you decide .

Last edited:

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Looks like you’ve gotten tons of good input so far, so figured I’d just add another “hello” for good measure ;)

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Oase BioMaster line are really nice canister filters. Oase has been big in the USA pond scene for years and are just now bringing their aquariums systems to the USA.
really nice forward thinking canisters. I love my ADA canisters as they are built like tanks.:)

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're looking at a SunSun canister, check out an aquatop one. They are the same thing, but you'll get english instructions.

And you can absolutely run a reef tank with a canister filter. As long as you set it up correctly everything will be fine. I would find one with at least 3 trays so you can run a good amount of biological media in it. You need to know how the flow goes through the canister, and set your media up like this, flow ---> mechanical media (coarse, medium, fine pads) ---> biological media (seachem matrix, biohome, marinepure, ect...) ----> chemical media (carbon, purigen, gfo, ect...).

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, check the Pond Guru on youtube. He does some awesome videos on how to set up canister filters.

OP
OP
Leon Gorani

Leon Gorani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome r2r. I personally like fluval. You can absolutely run a reef with a canister. I run a 75 with a fx4. I clean mine once a month.

Thanks! How do you usually clean it? I hear you can’t use freshwater to clean it or else the tank will crash, so does that mean I need to take out a few gallons of tank water and just rinse everything in that every other week? Currently I rinse my HOB filter in the sink with tap water and it seems to be fine. But I understand that kills bacteria in canister filters. So what’s the best way to maintain a canister?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks! How do you usually clean it? I hear you can’t use freshwater to clean it or else the tank will crash, so does that mean I need to take out a few gallons of tank water and just rinse everything in that every other week? Currently I rinse my HOB filter in the sink with tap water and it seems to be fine. But I understand that kills bacteria in canister filters. So what’s the best way to maintain a canister?
You can rinse the filter media/sponges in RO water which you will likely have on hand for mixing the new saltwater for water changes.

Back