What cement for aquascape?

Phillyd1990

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got about 25lbs of base rock and 10lbs of shelf rock for a 2x2 cube. I want to have alot of flat over hanging areas so I need something that can hold together strong. All the rock is dry and I will be putting it together outside of the water. What is a good cement to use. Seems like everything I read is half good half bad reviews. The 3 I have it between is Marco, stone fix, and nyos reef cement unless there is something else.

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got about 25lbs of base rock and 10lbs of shelf rock for a 2x2 cube. I want to have alot of flat over hanging areas so I need something that can hold together strong. All the rock is dry and I will be putting it together outside of the water. What is a good cement to use. Seems like everything I read is half good half bad reviews. The 3 I have it between is Marco, stone fix, and nyos reef cement unless there is something else.

I have heard good things about MarcoRocks E 400 Aquascaping Cement. Comes in a decently large size also.

https://premiumaquatics.com/products/marcorocks-400-aquascaping-cement.html

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never used cement. I like thermo morph. You can tint it differ colors as well but I’ve always just went with white and made sure to not have it visible. Super strong stuff as long as you can press it into crevices in both rocks that you are trying to hold together.

DesertReefBoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just used E Marco 400 and it was really easy to use. Did some cool overhanging stuff. Just make sure you mix the mortor in small batches.

F7772BA7-31B3-4A99-A8CC-AF19BD30C68A.jpeg
5835C35D-7C4A-4146-8FC2-D9062FF02A26.jpeg
B5A64C6C-F085-4158-8B66-98684F4045E0.jpeg

OP
OP
Phillyd1990

Phillyd1990

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll probably end up going with marco..only reason I was thinking not to is because its not going to be a large aquascape and I'm probably not even going to need half of it

DesertReefBoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll probably end up going with marco..only reason I was thinking not to is because its not going to be a large aquascape and I'm probably not even going to need half of it
I only ended up using just over half of mine as well. I’m just going to save the rest in case I decide to add more rock.

OP
OP
Phillyd1990

Phillyd1990

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Stone Fix on mine and it worked out well. I remember it setting fast so I just mixed small amounts at a time.

W85SQmh.jpg
I really like the scape..its similar too what I plan to do. I'm just waiting on my shelf rock. I'm also curious how long it took to harden before putting in water. I'll probably do my scape a week before the tank even gets here.

Even Further

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like it! How long did you have to let it set before putting it in water ?

This was a very slow build so it was over a month before it got wet. AF has a great Youtube video, and I forgot what it said. I think 1-2 days to a week would be plenty on the safe side. The joints are strong. I did go over some of the bigger rock joints to overlay more stone fix to beef up the joint, after the initial dried.

DesertReefBoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was a very slow build so it was over a month before it got wet. AF has a great Youtube video, and I forgot what it said. I think 1-2 days to a week would be plenty on the safe side. The joints are strong. I did go over some of the bigger rock joints to overlay more stone fix to beef up the joint, after the initial dried.
Nice. I’m always into trying new things. Next time I aquascape with dry rock I’ll try it out!!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back