What color starboard on my BB tank build? Black or White?

Black or White Starboard on a bare bottom tank?

• Black- because it looks cool

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Black- because the fish will be less freaked out by it

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • White- because it reflects more light back up toward the coral

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • White- because the fish will be less freaked out by it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • White- because it looks like sand

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Just go with what ever is aesthetically pleasing, none of the other stuff will matter

Votes: 4 23.5%

• Total voters

JDtimk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to decide between a white starboard bottom or a black starboard bottom on my tank build.

This will be bare bottom build and I am trying to consider both the aesthetics of the two choices, as well as any considerations for light reflection vs. absorption or the effect on the livestock.
The tank is a Crystal Dynamics 48" x 48" by 24" high.

What's your opinion on aesthetics and any considerations on the effect on the livestock?

Thanks!

jent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally use black, here is a photo of my old tank at startup (it quickly got covered in coraline anyways).

IMG_8200.jpg

I think it works well visually to work with the shadows at where the rocks are connecting with the starboard. Personally that's the only visual aspect that bothers me, the sight of rocks coming out of sand looks better to me than the sight of rocks sitting on top of anything. I feel like a white board would brighten those areas and make those points more noticeable.

I do suspect that a white board would reflect more light to the underside of corals while new, which may be a large benefit to their health if using LED's exclusively. But this only works if you keep it clean. I know in my case it will just grow in coraline as I don't want to scrape it. So in my new tank I am going black again just for my visual preference.

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with black because my silicone and tank back are black. If you were going to do a thin sand bed, I'd go white to blend with the sand. But BB doesn't really matter because of coraline. Mine is solid pink and has been for years. Either color will end up looking the same.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been putting rock right onto the glass for thirty years and never had a problem, nor have I ever heard of one. I can see some value in the grip factor of cutting board.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just went with white. I do not like the look of black.
I also do not care for the look of just glass.

gypsyboy38

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with white. However, if you do, it would look better if you kept up on scraping off the coralline!

Back