What constitutes short-cycling in a chiller

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps there is no single answer, but I was curious if anyone knows what constitutes short-cycling in a chiller? Clearly if a unit is on for a minute then off for a minute that’d be short-cycling. How about on for 10 off for 10? Perhaps it’s one of those ‘I cannot define it .... but know it when I see it’ things.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps there is no single answer, but I was curious if anyone knows what constitutes short-cycling in a chiller? Clearly if a unit is on for a minute then off for a minute that’d be short-cycling. How about on for 10 off for 10? Perhaps it’s one of those ‘I cannot define it .... but know it when I see it’ things.
A chiller that relay on a compressor should not be used in short cycles - the compressor need to work for at least 30 minutes every cycle (the pause is not as important). For the health of the compressor - longer runtime the better survival time :D

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided that it was an ‘unfair’ question to pose of the community so I called the chap that makes the chiller. If it were not my thread, that would have been my advice to the OP :cool: . Anyhow ...... thoroughly nice guy to chat with. He said, for this chiller, no more than 10 on/off cycles per hour. I’m at about three or four so good to go.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 30.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back