What coral is it that you will NEVER add to your reef?

Is there a certain type of coral that you will NEVER add to your reef tank?

• YES (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 98 78.4%
  • NO

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • Not sure

Votes: 19 15.2%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The world of reef aquarium hobbyists is as diverse as the corals themselves, and it's interesting to see the varying choices reefers make when it comes to coral selection. From flowing softies to delicate Acropora, the variety of corals available allows each of us the opportunity to create our own underwater masterpiece. But there are some corals that we all probably choose to NEVER add to our reef for various reasons.

It might boil down to personal preferences, tank parameters, or individual goals. It may also vary by ease of care, opting for hardy corals that can thrive in various conditions, while others may seek out the more rare frags, embracing the challenge and beauty they bring. Tank size, lighting, and water flow requirements also play a significant role. Whatever it may be, we want to know what it is ans why!

What coral is it that you will NEVER add to your reef?

C4D3BA7F-247C-4453-82BA-F6E0DA7A5539.jpeg

image via @Sean1986

Amber.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will never own an elephant ear mushroom coral. I love mushroom corals but the sheer size that they can reach - a foot or larger - and the fact that they can eat everything swimming in your aquarium terrifies me. It would have to have its own aquarium without any inhabitants that would feel tempted to take a nap on it. More like a contained “Venus fly trap” aquarium so to speak.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue polyps. Even Xenia and GSP can be controlled. The most annoying protopalys or leathers can be controlled. Blue polyps spawn at such a shocking rate they can be true tank busters. I’ve seen them ruin several tanks. And the treatment for them can be very hard on the rest of the tank

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why? What did the tree do to you?
Check In David Guetta GIF by Audacy

With proper effort it can be trimmed before it starts dropping branches that will spread, but I am very lazy and didn’t spend the time making sure that didn’t happen.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Xenia. Was nice while it stayed put. Now it's crawling across the glass and drops frags that float around and attach places if I can't get to them quickly.

If you know what spreads too quickly, you can still make an island out of it. Invasive corals that drop polyps like Kenya trees, Xenia and some Poccilipora are just more problem than they're worth.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Xenia. Was nice while it stayed put. Now it's crawling across the glass and drops frags that float around and attach places if I can't get to them quickly.

If you know what spreads too quickly, you can still make an island out of it. Invasive corals that drop polyps like Kenya trees, Xenia and some Poccilipora are just more problem than they're worth.
I’d rather have Pocis all over rather than xenia

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I will never own Sun Coral again. Feeding each head? No thanks. When it eventually passed, I felt super guilty about how I'd taken it from being happy in a reef, and selfishly put it in my tank, then neglected it.

Just shouldn't be kept by everyday reefers imo.

Same for me! Exactly my experience!

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Any leather pretty much..

What?! Man one of my most favorite corals is the weeping willow neon green toadstools! Had a 16" one that looked amazing!

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What?! Man one of my most favorite corals is the weeping willow neon green toadstools! Had a 16" one that looked amazing!
My buddy is trying to give me a old Tyree green toadstool he’s got a couple and one is close to 4ft wide :oops: Haha!
IMG_9425.jpeg

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My buddy is trying to give me a old Tyree green toadstool he’s got a couple and one is close to 4ft wide :oops: Haha!
IMG_9425.jpeg
WOW! I can't tell by the photo but the ones I'm speaking of our super neon green! Very vivid!

Back