What coral is this? Monti?

Afkomjorgen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey so ofcourse I didn’t take a photo before I got home and it has yet to open up fully. I’m going to move it down the rock and see if it’s happier. The owner of the lfs wasn’t there and the other workers are not as good with coral names. I liked the look of this one and wanted to start branching into sps.
Is this a Monti? Or maybe a pavona?
thanks

C58E1C68-1B8A-480F-996B-948AF83006D8.jpeg BE51ED73-7B8F-4BCD-9FEF-32FBF3D88BB1.jpeg

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cyphastrea, I think, with how the polyps stick out. If you'd like it to look more like a branching SPS and less like an encrusting coral, you can grow it over an old SPS skeleton so it'll take that shape. They cling really tightly to their surface in a thin layer, so can pick up some fine details. I've even seen pictures of a cyphastrea grown over a fake skull to give it a skull shape. Not quite my taste, but looked pretty cool.

OP
OP
Afkomjorgen

Afkomjorgen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyphastrea, I think, with how the polyps stick out. If you'd like it to look more like a branching SPS and less like an encrusting coral, you can grow it over an old SPS skeleton so it'll take that shape. They cling really tightly to their surface in a thin layer, so can pick up some fine details. I've even seen pictures of a cyphastrea grown over a fake skull to give it a skull shape. Not quite my taste, but looked pretty cool.

I agree that it seems to be a cyphastrea.

Maybe a purple meteor shower cyphastrea. Nice coral.
Thank you so much! I really appreciate it
Explains why it’s not happy where it’s at, I need to move it further from the light if cyphastrea like lower light

and that’s spot on! I looked up pics and that’s what it looked like in the store. Has been pale since being in my tank

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh, yeah, get that thing in the shade. Actually in the shade, they like very little light compared to a lot of stony corals.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 69 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back