What coral or experience first inspired you to want to reef?

KaitCorals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know most people get into the hobby for different reasons but I would love to see what inspired you all.

Was it a zoo garden? Were you instantly taken by sticks? Was it the movement of hammers and torches? Did you go diving the South Pacific?

I was first inspired when I studied abroad in Australia in undergrad (I took some marine biology courses and did tons of diving on the GBR) but then realized that i wanted to bring it home when I saw the amazing colors of these favia from the wwc reef builders tour.

1583470413074.png

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi have to say 1990 seen green walking sinularia ,once in hooked for life,happy reefing

JoshO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A book I was given when I was 7! Saw a picture of a dwarf flame angel and was instantly hooked. When I got older and actually did some research I realised what I could actually have. Also having the biggest aquarium in the UK literally 10 minutes from my house helped a little!
Finally watching the guys at BRS inspired me to actually jump in finally!
FlameAngelWMA_Ap8SA.jpg

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oddly enough for me it was a trip to the local tide pools here in Southern California that sparked it for me, not so much the corals as we only have a few species here but all the other critters in the pools. Every little puddle was jammed packed with hermit crabs,urchins, snails, anemones, shrimp and tons of other stuff. To this day hermit crabs and snails are one of my favorite inhabitants in my reef. I'm probably the only oddball that hand picks the clean up crew like other people pick their frags. I will inspect every scarlet hermet in the store until I find the one I like. Mostly selected on health and pluckiness.

I've had this guy since I got back into the hobby as a tiny little guy less than a 1/4in long, although many others have come and gone he has been a trooper.
20200123_000613.jpg

I always know it's him because most nights I can find him not too far from the pom pom, why? Who knows, maybe they are tank buds.

20200123_000609.jpg

ReefDemon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it was the first time I saw a reef tank it was a lps dominant reef with loads of hammers and torch corals... before the crazy price hike. The movement was mesmerising and the colours had an amazing glow to them. The colours and personality of the fish also made my discus and rams look so boring. I already knew then that I would make the switch and never go back.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A visit to Maine's coast and its rocky tide pools when I was 7 years old sparked my interest in marine biology and aquaria. Years later, George Smit's series of articles in FAMA on Europe's reef tanks got me hooked on reef tanks.

JoshO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@JoshO where is this aquarium? Need to go and have a look. I’m up in Newcastle but have family in London and Portsmouth so can always find a decent excuse and detour :p
Small world, I'm in Sunderland now but I'm from Plymouth which is where it is, called the national marine aquarium...so it's a pretty long trek for you!

Nano1908

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What first sparked my interest in saltwater was a lionfish. Was so new & beautiful to me. Than as time (years) passed I saw a friend's mixed reef. I saw Pulsing Xenia for the 1st time and I was mesmerized. I started doing my research and ended up starting a small tank which was motivated by my local reef club. Yes I joined the club before having my tank up. Now you may ask, umm small tank, Lion Fish. Yup you guessed it, after doing research I decided not to get the Lion Fish. Now as for Pulsing Xenia, I may just leave that invasive coral all together. So in short, I'm staying away from what sparked my interest in having a marine or reef aquarium. Lol.

Lionfish .gif Pulsing Xenia .gif

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was always into fish and the ocean growing up during the Jacques-Yves Cousteau era of TV specials.

I had various containers of water with critters in them all throughout my childhood and college years. I was getting interested in saltwater in the late 80's and saw the Smithsonian coral reef microcosm in D.C. during a bus trip in 1991.

I finally got settled at a steady job and set up my first reef tank in 2000.

Sabina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw a flame angel and coral beauty at my LFS I was 7 year old I think.

Aquarium Inspiration for a reef keeper

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back