What coral would you recommend I add next?

OP
OP
Herides

Herides

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're worrying about GSP far more than is necessary. Keep it isolated from the rest of the tank and aggressively trim it back if it even thinks about leaving your island. If the mat gets over onto your rockwork, say goodbye to that rock for anything other than GSP unless you do something tank-killing to it. GSP grows out of a mat, and said mat will force itself into the tiniest nooks and crannies of your rockwork. If you do manage to peel the mat off your rockwork, it'll grow pretty much wherever you put it. Honestly, you have to really try to kill GSP.

Acan lord corals (might also be labeled as micromussa) are always a good addition to that kind of tank. Lighting demands aren't too intense, and you can always feed them to supplement what your lights don't provide - and you should feed them, if only for the fascination of watching them eat. Tons of different color morphs available, though most LFS seem to get mostly reds and teals. I've seen them in pinks, purples, greens, blues, orange and more.
I've hear ya man, I was initially turned off because I've heard everything you said but now there's a small conversation about growing on the back glass and I think I can make that work without it spreading as much as I worry it will.

Also ooooh! Acans look cool. Will def look for those on Wednesday, thanks for that advice!

Jonify

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the way bubble looks but I've been told and read that they can have pretty long sweeper tentacles. Not sure I'm ready to deal with that or have the space anyway to accommodate it.
They do, as do most Euphyllia (like your hammer) and other LPS. Sweepers are about 3 inches long. Hammers are around 6 inches long.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it's worth I also think your are robbing yourself of the beauty that are zoas. Some of them do produce a powerful toxin but as long as you take a few basic safety steps if you try to remove them from a rock or frag plug then you have nothing to worry about.

OP
OP
Herides

Herides

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do, as do most Euphyllia (like your hammer) and other LPS. Sweepers are about 3 inches long. Hammers are around 6 inches long.
I don't have a hammer coral? Wish I did as I like those too, but again the sweeper tentacles have me worried, probably more than they should but I'm just not sure. So bubble has 6 inch tentacles like the hammer?

OP
OP
Herides

Herides

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it's worth I also think your are robbing yourself of the beauty that are zoas. Some of them do produce a powerful toxin but as long as you take a few basic safety steps if you try to remove them from a rock or frag plug then you have nothing to worry about.
I hear ya. I've been on again and off again with zoas and I haven't really decided if I should or shouldn't. Thing is I'm maybe not as clinical or professional as I should be when it comes to just sticking my hand in the tank unprotected and my hands are prone to getting cut up, so my thing is why take the risk y'know? I already made a thread here asking folks about the toxicity of zoas and I'm leaning a bit more convinced that they're just not for me.

Jonify

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a hammer coral? Wish I did as I like those too, but again the sweeper tentacles have me worried, probably more than they should but I'm just not sure. So bubble has 6 inch tentacles like the hammer?
Oh sorry! I was reading too quickly. Bubbles' sweepers are smaller, around 3 inches.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Some zoas aren't nearly as invasive, and the palytoxin really isn't that much of a concern with some basic precautions. Mostly just don't hold them in your bare hands or cut yourself with a zoa-fragging tool, which are things you should also not do with other corals.

Do not put your hands in your tank with open wounds. There can be bacteria in a reef tank that will make you much, much sicker than palytoxin. If you're prone to having cuts on your hands, make it a habit to put long gloves on before putting your hands in the tank at all.

This one's more unusual to find for sale, but I like blue-green sympodium. It looks like clove polyps, but isn't invasive. It seems to be fairly easy to keep, from my experience with one frag and my research. Mine didn't thrive until I started feeding it reef roids at least once a week, but that may have been coincidence. It's a pretty coral that likes relatively low flow, medium-low light, and to not be bothered by things poking it too much.

OP
OP
Herides

Herides

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some zoas aren't nearly as invasive, and the palytoxin really isn't that much of a concern with some basic precautions. Mostly just don't hold them in your bare hands or cut yourself with a zoa-fragging tool, which are things you should also not do with other corals.

Do not put your hands in your tank with open wounds. There can be bacteria in a reef tank that will make you much, much sicker than palytoxin. If you're prone to having cuts on your hands, make it a habit to put long gloves on before putting your hands in the tank at all.

This one's more unusual to find for sale, but I like blue-green sympodium. It looks like clove polyps, but isn't invasive. It seems to be fairly easy to keep, from my experience with one frag and my research. Mine didn't thrive until I started feeding it reef roids at least once a week, but that may have been coincidence. It's a pretty coral that likes relatively low flow, medium-low light, and to not be bothered by things poking it too much.
Hello again! You commented similarly on my zoa toxicity thread and I am taking your safety advice to heart (i.e. I actually finally got a "serious cut on my hand and now got the sense to use water tight gloves to protect it). That sounds like a good species but I have a fair number of snails and hermits that might bug it on the island I have in mind for gsp or zoas.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ah, I remember that thread now. Good to hear about the gloves, they're a good safety precaution. I wish people were encouraged to wear them a bit more.

Sympodium isn't too fussy about being touched, but you'll see it close up for a bit if bothered. Mostly it just likes things to be consistent, and seems to take a bit longer than other corals to stop pouting if you change up the flow or the lighting. I highly recommend it, if you can get some. It shouldn't be too expensive, maybe $20-$30 for a small frag. Just make sure you actually have sympodium. When disturbed, it should retreat into a lumpy blue mat shape, instead of being a bundle of closed polyps.

OP
OP
Herides

Herides

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, I remember that thread now. Good to hear about the gloves, they're a good safety precaution. I wish people were encouraged to wear them a bit more.

Sympodium isn't too fussy about being touched, but you'll see it close up for a bit if bothered. Mostly it just likes things to be consistent, and seems to take a bit longer than other corals to stop pouting if you change up the flow or the lighting. I highly recommend it, if you can get some. It shouldn't be too expensive, maybe $20-$30 for a small frag. Just make sure you actually have sympodium. When disturbed, it should retreat into a lumpy blue mat shape, instead of being a bundle of closed polyps.
I'll be sure to poke it at the lfs before buying to make sure it's right lol. Seriously thank you for the advice. Now I have that, gsp, or mushrooms to put on that island, since I just recalled mushrooms also grow fast.

Royal Gramma Man

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does worry me greatly, its on a 40 gallon breeder tank and I feel that with coral placement I wont have space but I do love the look of it. Are there other chalice corals that don't have quite as long tentacles?
Unfortunately, they are all fairly aggressive. Maybe take a look at blastomussa? They have sweeper tentacles but aren't aggressive. They also look pretty cool

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about a gorgonian? Something photosynthetic like a Muriceopsis usually isnt too difficult. I have a non photosynthetic Orange Tree Gorg which is a little more temperamental as it needs fairly regular feedings, however it has done fairly well all things considered. Minimal growth but polyps regularly come out ....

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you get a sympodium, definitely don't put it on a naughty-corals island with fast-growing things, it'll get smothered out fast.

Blastomussa and acan lords (technically micromussa lords) have short stingers and minimal ability to sting things that aren't right up next to them. Micromussa amakuensis is a smaller version of micro lords, with similar care. All three can be put with others of their own species, touching, with no problems. I've seen people keep both micromussas up against each other with no problems either. There's another acan whose species name starts with a B that I don't fully remember now, may be worth looking into.

Acan echinata is VERY aggressive. Don't confuse it with other acans. Echinata has polyps fused with each other and a sort of textured/speckled surface, other acans (and micromussas) have separate polyps. Echinata shouldn't be put near other corals or anemones at all, and are bad for small tanks because of their long reach and very aggressive nature.

OP
OP
Herides

Herides

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about a gorgonian? Something photosynthetic like a Muriceopsis usually isnt too difficult. I have a non photosynthetic Orange Tree Gorg which is a little more temperamental as it needs fairly regular feedings, however it has done fairly well all things considered. Minimal growth but polyps regularly come out ....
I would like at some point to add a gorg but being an sps coral I don't feel I'm ready for one yet, but I'll keep an eye out for Muriceopsis. Thanks!

OP
OP
Herides

Herides

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get a sympodium, definitely don't put it on a naughty-corals island with fast-growing things, it'll get smothered out fast.

Blastomussa and acan lords (technically micromussa lords) have short stingers and minimal ability to sting things that aren't right up next to them. Micromussa amakuensis is a smaller version of micro lords, with similar care. All three can be put with others of their own species, touching, with no problems. I've seen people keep both micromussas up against each other with no problems either. There's another acan whose species name starts with a B that I don't fully remember now, may be worth looking into.

Acan echinata is VERY aggressive. Don't confuse it with other acans. Echinata has polyps fused with each other and a sort of textured/speckled surface, other acans (and micromussas) have separate polyps. Echinata shouldn't be put near other corals or anemones at all, and are bad for small tanks because of their long reach and very aggressive nature.
The sympodium would be the only one on that island so he'll be fine.

Definitely getting more attracted to these acans and blastos so good to know I can kinda group them and they are short reaching. And thanks for the heads up on echinata, would be my luck I stick one of those in my tank.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Gorgonians aren't SPS corals. They're not stony corals at all, even though they have a form of skeleton. Different care on these guys from just about everything else. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcyonacea

Micromussas and blastos are both pretty chill, and can't reach far. Fair warning, they do have a solid sting if another coral falls directly onto them, but they won't attack for anything short of that. And they're gorgeous! There are lots of sources, but if you're looking for some frags of reasonably inexpensive micromussa, check out Saltcritters. Their photos aren't always the best, but they don't slap fancy names on things to crank up the price, and they don't photoshop things into oblivion to make them look better.

Oh, rock flower anemones are a good thing to consider. They need a mature tank, so they're for the future, but they're very pretty. They aren't a threat to small fish (I've seen a shrimpgoby sit on one, hop up, sit on it again, and then reconsider, with no evident physical harm), and don't tend to roam around the tank like many other anemones do. Ultras are gorgeous, and some of the shallow-water ones are pretty as well.

OP
OP
Herides

Herides

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgonians aren't SPS corals. They're not stony corals at all, even though they have a form of skeleton. Different care on these guys from just about everything else. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcyonacea

Micromussas and blastos are both pretty chill, and can't reach far. Fair warning, they do have a solid sting if another coral falls directly onto them, but they won't attack for anything short of that. And they're gorgeous! There are lots of sources, but if you're looking for some frags of reasonably inexpensive micromussa, check out Saltcritters. Their photos aren't always the best, but they don't slap fancy names on things to crank up the price, and they don't photoshop things into oblivion to make them look better.

Oh, rock flower anemones are a good thing to consider. They need a mature tank, so they're for the future, but they're very pretty. They aren't a threat to small fish (I've seen a shrimpgoby sit on one, hop up, sit on it again, and then reconsider, with no evident physical harm), and don't tend to roam around the tank like many other anemones do. Ultras are gorgeous, and some of the shallow-water ones are pretty as well.
Good to know about the gorgonians, always thought they would have some difficulty curve like acros do, willl definitly consider more.

Good to know, and I'll definitely consider Saltcritters, granted I'm still newish to buying livestock online but that's a discussion for another thread.

Alsso my god rock flower nems are pretty!!! Yeah my tank isn't even quite a year old so in the future will definitely consider checking these guys out!

OP
OP
Herides

Herides

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1609903989876.png

This is a small sheet I made to help me summarize corals I would want to look out for tomorrow, orange being a definitely maybe, red being I need to hesitate, and green being I should be good to go. I included other species I found in my research that I might keep my eye out if anyone has any thoughts on those or any other species not listed here?

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've never heard of ricordeas having sweepers. They'll sting something if it directly touches them, but that's it, and they may not even do that. Ricordea florida are well-behaved and very colorful, I highly recommend them in your sandbed. Maybe not on your rockwork in case they multiply fast for you. Just give them some rubble to grab.

GSP will absolutely stick to your back glass, and your front glass, and your everywhere glass. I've read it's easy enough to remove from glass, so if you don't let it touch and get onto your rockwork, it should be fine to have. It can sure look nice.

Blue sympodium would only take over your tank if you gave it a very long time and no competition, and maybe not even then. Blue clove polyps are the super invasive ones.

Lordhowensis is the full species name of acan lords, AKA micro lords. Those are micromussas.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back