What coral would you recommend I add next?

OP
OP
Herides

Herides

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never heard of ricordeas having sweepers. They'll sting something if it directly touches them, but that's it, and they may not even do that. Ricordea florida are well-behaved and very colorful, I highly recommend them in your sandbed. Maybe not on your rockwork in case they multiply fast for you. Just give them some rubble to grab.

GSP will absolutely stick to your back glass, and your front glass, and your everywhere glass. I've read it's easy enough to remove from glass, so if you don't let it touch and get onto your rockwork, it should be fine to have. It can sure look nice.

Blue sympodium would only take over your tank if you gave it a very long time and no competition, and maybe not even then. Blue clove polyps are the super invasive ones.

Lordhowensis is the full species name of acan lords, AKA micro lords. Those are micromussas.
I was questioning the sweepers on mushrooms too but a quick googling brought up one r2r thread of someone whos mushroom actually spilled its guts out to attack another coral, nota sweeper but it was really really long so I classified it as having something akin to a sweeper.

I'm hoping GSP is easy to peel off glass, that's what I was informed of earlier in this thread so hopefully I can keep it off the sides and front, only concern is I do have some of my rockwork kind of close to the glass to I might scrap the idea all together.

Noted on the blue clove polyps vs sympodium.

I just included the "lordhowensis" note to remind myself what the full name was lol, not the most consistent sheet innit.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some lps would be fine. Torches, hammers, candy canes, etc...
All are pretty simple to keep and add some nice colors and movement.

OP
OP
Herides

Herides

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some lps would be fine. Torches, hammers, candy canes, etc...
All are pretty simple to keep and add some nice colors and movement.
Yes adding LPS does seem to be the next step for corals to add, my main concern as of right this moment is dealing with spacing in terms of how hostile I've heard and read some species of LPS can be. but I think I can work it out.

Afterburner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first coral was a Gorgonian I picked up diving. My tank was really a fish only, and I had a juvenile blue angel that I caught that loved to eat the polyps. I thought it had killed the gorgonian over about a year with it almost withering away from all the chunks bitten out of it. When I re-homed the angel, she slowly started to come back, and now a little over a year later she is extremely happy and I have even fragged her a couple of times to trim her. I really think she is bullet proof, but that may be just my system since I also dose copious amounts of phyto every day and that may be the key to my success. I also have some other gorgonians that are doing fine, but my baby is really growing nicely now.
I agree about the hollywood stunners being pretty aggressive. Just take a look at them at night and you can see a swarm of tentacles. I think they are much worse than GPS for taking over, and can manage to grow on your rock work which is almost impossible to completely remove. One thing I have done recently is put something over them like another rock to shade them and eventually kill them off my rock work. I give away huge frags to newbies all the time because they are an easy way to get started with SPS. Now I am just throwing colonies in my display xenia fuge till someone wants some. One thing i have noticed is that not all stunners are alike when it comes to stingers (I have 3 different looking ones).
I also would not worry too much about a hammer sending out sweepers since I have never had an issue, but my flow is not too aggressive either. You will see from this pic that the hammer is in a relative low flow area and not hurting anyone. Unfortunately my really beautiful Gorgonian is not in the picture, but a frag of it is in the front and not opened up.

Attachments

• tempImage4UjnVO.png
    tempImage4UjnVO.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 32

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Zoa and mushroom

RobW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, my lfs gets a pretty large shipment on Tuesday and I'm gonna do a bit of shopping on Wednesday. I don't have a very vast knowledge of corals and was wondering what you guys think I should add next. The tank is a 40B with currently a Cauliflower Colt, Toadstool, 5 headed Duncan, and a Devilshand. I am going for mostly leathers and soft corals so lighting atm is not intense enough for SPS or any expert level corals, and i'm still less than a year into the hobby so something easy to take care of, and something relatively non hostile and not liable to be harmed by the other corals in my tank. Preferably non toxic-handle-to-handle things and lastly nothing that would take over a tank if unchecked (so no zoas or xenia). What would you guys recommend I keep an eye out for on Wednesday?
Zoanthids

OP
OP
Herides

Herides

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider adding Rockflower anemones. Beautiful, hearty, and no major issues with them.
I was advised earlier in the thread that they would thrive in mature tanks, mine not quite a year old but I'll keep them in mind!

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Rock flowers are easy to keep, as anemones go. If you can get LPS to grow and thrive in your current tank, a rock flower could be worth a try. That said, the safe bet would be to wait until your tank is at least 8 months old, preferably a year, like with most anemones.

Oh, be careful with any kind of leather corals; they're cool-looking, but particularly prone to chemical warfare. Tanks with leather corals should run plenty of carbon.

OP
OP
Herides

Herides

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rock flowers are easy to keep, as anemones go. If you can get LPS to grow and thrive in your current tank, a rock flower could be worth a try. That said, the safe bet would be to wait until your tank is at least 8 months old, preferably a year, like with most anemones.

Oh, be careful with any kind of leather corals; they're cool-looking, but particularly prone to chemical warfare. Tanks with leather corals should run plenty of carbon.
uhh, are toadstools and/or devils hands not leathers? if so then kinda late with that I already have one of each.

Royal Gramma Man

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming you mean a Hollywood Stunner make sure to give it plenty of room is an understatement. Mine is the quickest growing coral in my tank (including gsp and xenia) and the sweeper tentacles on the thing are ridiculously long. I've only had mine for a few months but I bet in a few years it will have taken over a large portion of my 125. It is pretty though.
Yeah sorry I meant hollywood stunner. It was labeled green stunner in the store.

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
uhh, are toadstools and/or devils hands not leathers? if so then kinda late with that I already have one of each.
Just run a bag of carbon or a reactor and it will be fine. I guess some people don’t use carbon but outside of a fish having HLLE not sure why you wouldn’t given all the toxins coral can produce.

Back