What coral would you recommend I add next?

Herides

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, my lfs gets a pretty large shipment on Tuesday and I'm gonna do a bit of shopping on Wednesday. I don't have a very vast knowledge of corals and was wondering what you guys think I should add next. The tank is a 40B with currently a Cauliflower Colt, Toadstool, 5 headed Duncan, and a Devilshand. I am going for mostly leathers and soft corals so lighting atm is not intense enough for SPS or any expert level corals, and i'm still less than a year into the hobby so something easy to take care of, and something relatively non hostile and not liable to be harmed by the other corals in my tank. Preferably non toxic-handle-to-handle things and lastly nothing that would take over a tank if unchecked (so no zoas or xenia). What would you guys recommend I keep an eye out for on Wednesday?

Royal Gramma Man

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, my lfs gets a pretty large shipment on Tuesday and I'm gonna do a bit of shopping on Wednesday. I don't have a very vast knowledge of corals and was wondering what you guys think I should add next. The tank is a 40B with currently a Cauliflower Colt, Toadstool, 5 headed Duncan, and a Devilshand. I am going for mostly leathers and soft corals so lighting atm is not intense enough for SPS or any expert level corals, and i'm still less than a year into the hobby so something easy to take care of, and something relatively non hostile and not liable to be harmed by the other corals in my tank. Preferably non toxic-handle-to-handle things and lastly nothing that would take over a tank if unchecked (so no zoas or xenia). What would you guys recommend I keep an eye out for on Wednesday?
Ricordia is always a good soft coral with lots of color, and easy to care for (soft coral). Also, you can try to look for a green stunner (sps). They are bulletproof in the sense that they do well in almost any tank. Mine is massive and happy, but remember to give your corals space to grow in case they're aggressive because the stunner can be a bit pushy. Any sort of mushroom coral (soft) will also do well. Hope this helped!

sepulvd85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, my lfs gets a pretty large shipment on Tuesday and I'm gonna do a bit of shopping on Wednesday. I don't have a very vast knowledge of corals and was wondering what you guys think I should add next. The tank is a 40B with currently a Cauliflower Colt, Toadstool, 5 headed Duncan, and a Devilshand. I am going for mostly leathers and soft corals so lighting atm is not intense enough for SPS or any expert level corals, and i'm still less than a year into the hobby so something easy to take care of, and something relatively non hostile and not liable to be harmed by the other corals in my tank. Preferably non toxic-handle-to-handle things and lastly nothing that would take over a tank if unchecked (so no zoas or xenia). What would you guys recommend I keep an eye out for on

Mushrooms, gsp and Sinularia corals

OP
OP
Herides

Herides

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ricordia is always a good soft coral with lots of color, and easy to care for (soft coral). Also, you can try to look for a green stunner (sps). They are bulletproof in the sense that they do well in almost any tank. Mine is massive and happy, but remember to give your corals space to grow in case they're aggressive because the stunner can be a bit pushy. Any sort of mushroom coral (soft) will also do well. Hope this helped!
I presume green stunner also refers to hollywood stunner or sprungs stunner?
About how much room would you say as the source I look at for surface level info on species of fish or coral (live aquaria) states ricordia as semi aggressive and stunner as aggressive, and will I know if I put it too close without it being to late to prevent damage?

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is massive and happy, but remember to give your corals space to grow in case they're aggressive because the stunner can be a bit pushy.
Assuming you mean a Hollywood Stunner make sure to give it plenty of room is an understatement. Mine is the quickest growing coral in my tank (including gsp and xenia) and the sweeper tentacles on the thing are ridiculously long. I've only had mine for a few months but I bet in a few years it will have taken over a large portion of my 125. It is pretty though.

OP
OP
Herides

Herides

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming you mean a Hollywood Stunner make sure to give it plenty of room is an understatement. Mine is the quickest growing coral in my tank (including gsp and xenia) and the sweeper tentacles on the thing are ridiculously long. I've only had mine for a few months but I bet in a few years it will have taken over a large portion of my 125. It is pretty though.
That does worry me greatly, its on a 40 gallon breeder tank and I feel that with coral placement I wont have space but I do love the look of it. Are there other chalice corals that don't have quite as long tentacles?

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgive my noviceness but doesn't gsp spread rapidly in a tank?
Yes it's one of the corals that you often get warned to not let it get on your main rockwork. If segregated to an island or growing up the back glass it isn't too big of a deal to contain. To me it wouldn't seem right to have a reef tank without it since it was the first coral I came to love many years ago.

OP
OP
Herides

Herides

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does but you can controll it buy putting in a little island by itself away from other rockwork
Any idea of how far away to recommend? I did have an island ready for such a species but I don't know if it will be too close.

sepulvd85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea of how far away to recommend? I did have an island ready for such a species but I don't know if it will be too close.
Maybe a inch or 2 if possible. Not 100 percent sure. I have mine like 1/2in away from the main rock work

OP
OP
Herides

Herides

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it's one of the corals that you often get warned to not let it get on your main rockwork. If segregated to an island or growing up the back glass it isn't too big of a deal to contain. To me it wouldn't seem right to have a reef tank without it since it was the first coral I came to love many years ago.
How can it grow on the back glass? I don't have any coraline algea growing on the glass yet so is sheer glass ok? and will it still be getting enough light from there? One other issue is I use a strong and well maintained canister filter with a spray bar for the output of it, would that spray bar interfere with gsp on the back glass? I really like this idea but I want to make sure it's reasonably viable.

OP
OP
Herides

Herides

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a inch or 2 if possible. Not 100 percent sure. I have mine like 1/2in away from the main rock work
Ok, I think I can reasonably accomplish that! But just in case the gsp does get on the main rock how much of a hassle is it to remove it rehome that growth? Will it hurt it? How would I get it off and move it?

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I think I can reasonably accomplish that! But just in case the gsp does get on the main rock how much of a hassle is it to remove it rehome that growth? Will it hurt it? How would I get it off and move it?

You're worrying about GSP far more than is necessary. Keep it isolated from the rest of the tank and aggressively trim it back if it even thinks about leaving your island. If the mat gets over onto your rockwork, say goodbye to that rock for anything other than GSP unless you do something tank-killing to it. GSP grows out of a mat, and said mat will force itself into the tiniest nooks and crannies of your rockwork. If you do manage to peel the mat off your rockwork, it'll grow pretty much wherever you put it. Honestly, you have to really try to kill GSP.

Acan lord corals (might also be labeled as micromussa) are always a good addition to that kind of tank. Lighting demands aren't too intense, and you can always feed them to supplement what your lights don't provide - and you should feed them, if only for the fascination of watching them eat. Tons of different color morphs available, though most LFS seem to get mostly reds and teals. I've seen them in pinks, purples, greens, blues, orange and more.

Jonify

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fun! Mushroom like a Florida Ricordea, bubble, or torch coral. No GSP unless you confine it to its own rock, otherwise, it grows all over everything.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can it grow on the back glass? I don't have any coraline algea growing on the glass yet so is sheer glass ok?
Mine has just started up the back glass but if you do a Google search for it you can find plenty of picture of people growing it on glass. The advantage of on the glass is if you need to remove a piece you just cut the piece you need and scrape it off. When it starts growing on rockwork it is nearly impossible to get it separated where it grows around all the little nooks and crannies of your rock.

As for the spray bar I have no idea, but gsp isn't exactly picky on where it grows so I doubt it would matter.

sepulvd85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or grow it in back glass. Am doing that as well. I just glued the mats to the glass

Attachments

• 20201230_192812.jpg
    20201230_192812.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 29
OP
OP
Herides

Herides

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has just started up the back glass but if you do a Google search for it you can find plenty of picture of people growing it on glass. The advantage of on the glass is if you need to remove a piece you just cut the piece you need and scrape it off. When it starts growing on rockwork it is nearly impossible to get it separated where it grows around all the little nooks and crannies of your rock.

As for the spray bar I have no idea, but gsp isn't exactly picky on where it grows so I doubt it would matter.
Sounds good. Will seriously consider this idea.

OP
OP
Herides

Herides

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fun! Mushroom like a Florida Ricordea, bubble, or torch coral. No GSP unless you confine it to its own rock, otherwise, it grows all over everything.
I love the way bubble looks but I've been told and read that they can have pretty long sweeper tentacles. Not sure I'm ready to deal with that or have the space anyway to accommodate it.

Back