What corals should I get?

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

I have a 65 gallon aquarium, it is the third week since I added water, 2 since I added fish and invertebrates.

My salinity is 1.026
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0-0.5
Ammonia: 0
Ph: 8.4

I am getting more test kits the day after tommorow, my lfs said thats all i need until I add corals.
I am thinking of adding corals in 2 days.

Would this be ok? I am thinking of adding only soft corals, zoanthids, and maybe a lps (not sure though)

I know it would be safe to add some zoanthids, gsp, maybe some xenia, but could I add stuff like mushrooms, kenya tree's, and could I add a easy lps? Maybe a hammer? Maybe a candy cane? Let me know.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally? I would wait another month or 2. That's just me though. Others add them sooner.

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to wait but your nitrate is low and I would suggest raising it. I added coral 2 weeks after my cycle and when my tank settled and had perfect parameters

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how would i raise my nitrate?
Nitrate happens on its own through fish waste. Need to find out how it's getting removed from your system. Whether it's algae growing, chaeto or a skimmer etc..

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just feed your fish and nitrates will come up.
I wouldn’t consider a hammer or mushrooms just yet but leathers, Xenia gsp gorgonians toadstool are all good to go.

wom001

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the point to waiting is for the biome to become better established. You see there are unseen wars going on within your tank as it ages as one bacteria claims dominance to only be eaten and consumed by another the next day and that happens for a few months until a stable criticality point is reached (just watched anton petrov so sorry for the physics term) where thousands of populations in that biome establish a daily rhythm. When you add coral essentially your introducing a whole new population of bacteria and the process starts over again unless your system has a super stable biome to support it.

In the end, id wait a bit and decide on what kind of tank / coral youd like. Personally I think zoas are a great start and look good especially if you do like a zoa garden or zoa islands in the sand. Avoid xenia as it takes over tanks, and think about dropping the salinity just a tad.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind that your LFS is in the business of selling you stuff... I'd wait a couple more months for coral. At least wait until you get past the "ugly stage" in your tank. And until you have a full set of good test kits and have maintained stable parameters for a while. Some people are able to rush the process a little but they usually have some experience under their belt as well.

Oldsman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd also wait a few more months before adding lps , its tough to do..staring at an empty tank w rocks, but rushing will certainly cause more harm than good . I lost a few lps because I didn't wait longer.

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, would i be able to add a frogspawn?
No hold off another month, same as hammers.

There is NO need to wait! Just add 2 or 3 CHEAP tester corals and enjoy. I added my first coral at 3 weeks and every one of them is still alive and thriving. And now 4 1/2 months in I also have 9 acropora. So, whatever.
If in doubt watch reef builders video on the nano he set up in 1 day.

Attachments

• 4DA95F8C-ACB9-405A-9D02-986E4C1EB876.jpeg
    4DA95F8C-ACB9-405A-9D02-986E4C1EB876.jpeg
    183.4 KB · Views: 29

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.6%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 73 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back