What could this be?

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just noticed these in my tank. Not exactly sure what it is maybe colonial hydroids? Any idea what it is and if it’s bad how do I get rid of it? Only thing I have added in the last three weeks is a new CUC that’s when I got Acoel flatworms now these show up. Started with aragalive life rock and dry sand.
C3C8D176-8368-4E5E-B148-4141A157609D.jpeg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What critters were in the cuc?

LOts of folks have had hydroids and they just "go away?" I've never noticed that I've had them but I can't see small things anymore. I kind of like it, less to bother me.

OP
OP
DDenny

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered 2 Florida cerith, 6 dwarf cerith (received maybe 20 super tiny snails) 4 hermits. Also had three trochus snails DOA. That’s been two weeks ago now. Not really worried if they are hydroids really just if they are something else that I need to deal with before anything explodes and is harder to take care of.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just trying to decide if it was possible that the CUC seeded the hydroids or if they came on something else? I hope these turn out to be a non-issue? The pictures look a bit different that the typical hydroid body shape, especially the 4-arm/eyed? heads.. maybe just a low quality image but most hydroids images I have looked at look different, somehow?

OP
OP
DDenny

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are super tiny only way I saw them was the light hit them just right and I was at the correct angle that they highlighted off the black background. They maybe 1mm off the rock will try and get a better picture.

OP
OP
DDenny

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok went old school Bob Fenner and wetwebmedia they are Hydrozoans according to Fenner they will cycle out of the system but could be annoying to livestock and hands as they sting like jellyfish.
just in case anyone wants to read.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, thanks for the link and the clearer picture. Those guys are super small but interesting to see!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back