What could you put in a tank together with a Barracuda???

Would you keep a Barracuda?

• Yes, even if it had to be my only tank

• Yes, if I could have other tanks

• I would KEEP it far away as possible.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Albertoinbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silly question, but I saw this shop selling barracudas for home aquariums and I thought, who would have a 1000 gallon tank to keep a single (up to 6 feet!) barracuda?

Please pardon my ignorance but just for curiosity, what else could you put in a tank together with a barracuda besides anything too small for it to catch? You could maybe put a shark, but I dont think that would work.

Would you think it would be worth it? I love them why not, they are fierce and have a pre-historic look, but is anyone so fascinated for it to this point? Does ANYONE have one??

alphonse-experience-fly-fishing-species-barracuda-02.jpg

unnamed.jpg

OP
OP
Albertoinbox

Albertoinbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know, but these guys are selling the real deal, the "Great" Barracuda Sphyraena barracuda

They say: "...reach up to 76 inches,"

Geez, these guys must eat a whole tuna per day or something.

Can you put a bunch of predators together? That would be like locking up a bunch of UFC fighters inside the octagon for life. How dou you keep the peace?

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They grow like 24 inches a year or something I heard, once it gets some size it would kill everything along with a high food bill. Unless you have a 3,000 gallon tank I would pass. Its not gonna fit in your 180 or 300 or whatever you have.

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was just watching David Attenborough on BBC talk about these fish and there was a massive shoal with one unicorn tang amongst the bunch. I guess a unicorn tang could live with them??

OP
OP
Albertoinbox

Albertoinbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was just watching David Attenborough on BBC talk about these fish and there was a massive shoal with one unicorn tang amongst the bunch. I guess a unicorn tang could live with them??
Wow, I guess they're like, "this guy is either crazy or super tough to be hanging out with us...perhaps we should be afraid of that thing sticking out of his head..."

Maybe the horn gives the tang barracuda mind control power or maybe he's just too weird to be eaten...

But seriously, I guess they just weren't hungry enough? Was it in captivity or in the open?

I've seen them attack humans, specially attracted to shiny objects I believe.

Last edited:

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I guess they're like, "this guy is either crazy or super tough to be hanging out with us...perhaps we should be afraid of that thing sticking out of his head..."

Maybe the horn gives the tang barracuda mind control power or maybe he's just too weird to be eaten...

But seriously, I guess they just weren't hungry enough? Was it in captivity or in the open?

I've seen them attack humans, specially attracted to shiny objects I believe.
It was a BBC special and this was in the ocean. I don’t think the same would be possible in any size tank.

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw one a while back at a wholesaler, must have been no bigger than 3 inches long and even at that size it was fierce. You could tell instantly you did not want your hand in that tank once it got a little bigger, Awesome animals would love to have one.

OP
OP
Albertoinbox

Albertoinbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was a BBC special and this was in the ocean. I don’t think the same would be possible in any size tank.
Actually, I think you might be right, I don't think I've ever seen one in a tank in any of all the big aquariums I've been, Sea World and the likes. Have you?

I guess even they dont think its worth the cost and the real estate for a lonely fish people aren't really interested in.

This looks like probably something some eccentric millionaire would have just for saddistic purposes. Like a character out of the GTA video game.

Guess there's a market for it. They go for $159.89 + tax

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly, I’ve never been to any big aquarium. Living in Midwest USA there aren’t many options. St. Louis was set to open their new aquarium right as this pandemic started so it will be a long while before we can go there. I work 3 blocks from the aquarium, can’t wait to get inside! I’ll let you know if I see any barracudas :)

tuan12321

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw a YouTube video where some guy had one in a saltwater indoor pond and would eat out of his hand...

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the sales pitch:

Screen Shot 2020-05-30 at 1.07.39 PM.png

"Stereotyped as fearsome"," Different choice" ;Dead

At least they admit its not a "smart" choice...;Wacky
Lol "up next is this baby great white shark, often given a bad wrap but with the proper care........"

OP
OP
Albertoinbox

Albertoinbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its true (skip to 7:45):

Pretty "cool" but a bit unnecessary?

I think its dangerous to keep such fish in an open pond at that height in a public space, a child won't know. A sign won't prevent an accident from happening. Unless there's a reason, It seems this was set up like this just to show off, which makes up for a lousy excuse to put people and fish in danger.

Why is it there? Is he holding the fish to sell?

I know a place where theres a shark for sale, a real deep open water grey shark looking one (forgot the name), not those small spotted bottom feeding looking sharks people usually get. It was in his own gigantic tank. It made sense, he could swim like a shark. I think maybe a Barracuda can even swim faster than a shark.

Lizbeli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. My aunt told me just a few days ago how a fish store had barracudas. I laughed and thought, nah can’t be a true saltwater cuda. I thought maybe there was a smaller freshwater fish that was similar, not familiar with fresh water. Now I believe her.

I can’t see why local fish stores would sell these. I imagine there are very few people who have 1,000+ gal systems. And that video- how irresponsible is that? Def agree w/Albertoinbox. Small children’s fingers are at risk here. I imagine some people could assume thats a touch tank. Just looks like one.

g_acosta_02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know, but these guys are selling the real deal, the "Great" Barracuda Sphyraena barracuda

They say: "...reach up to 76 inches,"

Geez, these guys must eat a whole tuna per day or something.

Can you put a bunch of predators together? That would be like locking up a bunch of UFC fighters inside the octagon for life. How dou you keep the peace?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 125 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%

Back